Reman 4l80e, 100 miles and a case full of neutrals...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Riverado

Reaction score
Kinda a long post but want to get all the details in. I have a '98 silverado 3500 with a 454 and 245,000 miles. Recently i started hearing a whine in first gear, its always had a light whine from the square cut gears i believe but the last few months its been getting louder. Then dropped the pan to take a look and found a lot of shavings in the pan and dark fluid. Decided to order a reman 4l80 for it thinking it would be the simplest way to fix the truck.

I installed the new trans and it was driving great for the first 30 miles or so, no issues. The next day i go to drive it and right as i leave my driveway i hear what sounds like a light pump whine, similar to a power steering pump thats low on fluid but not near as loud. Accelerating from the next intersection the 1-2 shift fells very soft, but does seem to shift to 2nd. I get past the next intersection and as it shifts to 2nd it feels more like neutral. Engine rpm comes up but truck is slowing down. I pull over and reverse and drive both wont engage at all. Shut the truck off and restarted it and was able to move a few feet then back to nothing again. Since i was only a half mile from the house i just had my wife tow me home, with t case in neutral and engine off so theres no chance of damage to trans. Fluid level was good, but decided to add some fluid to see if maybe the filter was loose and letting air into the pump. That seemed to work because it drove totaly normal with the extra fluid, so i droped the pan to inspect the filter and ended up replacing the filter and the seal because the filter seemed to be on the loose side though it had not slipped out. Refilled and it drove perfect.

Once it was driving good i figered there was something with the old filter and the new one seemed to fix it. We had plans to take our travel trailer out of town so i got it hooked up and we hit the road. All was good for about 60 miles, shifting great, towing just like it should. Then close to the top of a grade, was in second gear pulling the grade, and when it shifted to 3rd it started rapidly skipping between 2nd and 3rd, 2-3-2-3-2-3...I shifted back to OD and it seemed to stop, was also at the top of the grade. It pulled fine untill the next grade, i gave it a little more throttle and where it would normally kick down to 3rd instead is skipped down to 2nd. I rolled out of the throttle a little to get it back to 3rd and it started skipping rapidly beween 3rd and 2nd again. Shifting back to OD didnt stop the skipping this time so i dropped the shifter to 2nd and just cruised up the rest of the grade and luckily there was an off ramp there. Was able get off of the off ramp and onto a back road to pull off the road. Once i stopped there it was all neutrals again. Fluid level was still perfect. Adding fluid and restarting the truck did not fix the issue this time. After sitting for 30 minutes or so i was able to get a bit farther off of the road but then was back to not being able to move again. I decided not to push it anymore and we found a friend to come pick up the trailer and called a flatbed to take the truck home.

Ive been trying to contact the company i got the trans from but have not been able to talk to anyone yet. I feel like something in the valve body is having intermitent issues but not realy sure where to start looking/testing. Any input, thoughts or experience with this issue would be great.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Connect a scan tool, look for engine and trans "codes", but also verify that the trans solenoids are being commanded, the trans isn't overheating, you don't have slippage from input speed to output speed, etc.

Riverado

Reaction score
I dont have access to a scan tool that will show that. I can get the codes read to see if there are any codes though so ill get that checked out. Going to check resistance on all the solonoids to see if theres anything out of place there.