Extremely Long Crank, every start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the truck has always seemed to have a slow crank. I always attributed it to large engine old truck. I want to see if there is anything I can do or what I should go through checking. I replaced the plugs, wires, distributor and rotor last week. No change. The truck almost always starts on the first turn of the key but it takes what feels like 10 seconds to fire, but is probably closer to 4 or 5.

What should I look at first? Could timing be involved at all? I don't believe its the starter because it has the same crank every time hot or cold. Any help or insight appreciated.

Truck is a 1990 5.7 TBI with 198xxx miles

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Always helps when asking questions to give year, model, engine...also doesn't hurt to let us know miles.

I'll assume it's a 90 w/a gas engine based on your nick and sig pic. Most likely cause will be a cracked or pinholed hose attaching the fuel pump to the hardline on the sending unit, inside the tank. Over the years this hose goes bad. I've had to replace several for this exact reason. Of course while you have the bed off or the tank down you probably might as well just do the pump and sock (quality brand only; AC Delco or Delphi) and don't forget the frame rail filter, too.

Not saying this is the ONLY possible cause, just one I've run into more than once. I'd probably wait for others to chime in with suggestions though before tearing into a pump job.

EDIT - after reading your response on another thread I guess I should ask you to clarify. I'm assuming what you mean is the starter is turning the engine at a normal speed, it just takes a long time before it actually fires. Sometimes people use the terms crank/start/etc. in different ways.

Richard

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Always helps when asking questions to give year, model, engine...also doesn't hurt to let us know miles.

I'll assume it's a 90 w/a gas engine based on your nick and sig pic. Most likely cause will be a cracked or pinholed hose attaching the fuel pump to the hardline on the sending unit, inside the tank. Over the years this hose goes bad. I've had to replace several for this exact reason. Of course while you have the bed off or the tank down you probably might as well just do the pump and sock (quality brand only; AC Delco or Delphi) and don't forget the frame rail filter, too.

Not saying this is the ONLY possible cause, just one I've run into more than once. I'd probably wait for others to chime in with suggestions though before tearing into a pump job.

Richard

Updated original post thanks for the input. The entire sending unit and pump was replaced about 5 years ago due to rusting away and I had the bed off so it wasn't a very hard decision. When this was brand new it brought no change. I am going to order a fuel pressure gauge so I can start checking my fuel pressure. From research I have been doing this morning and since it was already somewhere on my list I am going to do the fuel filter even though i never have any running issues, just start up.

Spack9

Reaction score
I had a LT Camaro with the same problem. Fuel pressure was great ended up being a starter. It seemed to crank plenty fast enough but wasn't until I changed the starter that I realized how fast it needed to spin. If you hit a brick wall with trouble shooting I would also check compression. Ive seen some tired engines that ran great but were slow to start. I would also rule out a Idle air control valve by holding the pedal half way to the floor while cranking.

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a LT Camaro with the same problem. Fuel pressure was great ended up being a starter. It seemed to crank plenty fast enough but wasn't until I changed the starter that I realized how fast it needed to spin. If you hit a brick wall with trouble shooting I would also check compression. Ive seen some tired engines that ran great but were slow to start. I would also rule out a Idle air control valve by holding the pedal half way to the floor while cranking.

Interesting. I am doing an oil change today so im going to look at how difficult it would be to get the starter out while I'm down there and maybe just swap it to see if that is the issue before I get too far into checking other things.

Spack9

Reaction score
That starter is a piece of cake if I remember right. Two vertical bolts and a shim and it will drop right out. If there is another truck similar to yours around listen to how fast it spins the engine over.

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That starter is a piece of cake if I remember right. Two vertical bolts and a shim and it will drop right out. If there is another truck similar to yours around listen to how fast it spins the engine over.
Sadly i dont know anyone with one. Would have really help a few times over the last week or two of working on the truck with other issues.

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no check engine light, truck is running much better since the tune up but the start has remained the same.

Spack9

Reaction score
I would also check the air filter while your at it. I know it sounds crazy but I've seen one stop a dodge from starting at all.