External oil cooler fitment (retrofit to square bodys?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So Hi, I dont currently own a gmt -400 but my dad does(ok legally i own it, he operates) and I actually would like to secure a cooler for HIS 96 C1500 Silverado and MY 1980 GMC K25. We both have small blocks, although im sure his is more modern with vortec and electronics and serpentine, etc.
The OE square cooler cannot be sourced anymore. So fab/retrofit is the only way. I can find new/used gmt 400 stuff everywhere.

You must be registered for see images attach

I do have the adapter meant for squares already, but could easily use a gmt400. my dad does not have auxillary(rad) or external cooler. so same boat potentially.

and for thoe who want to see, heres a few trucks:

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I would like to since I have found an adapter laying around (for my square) and the trucks use is heavy on idling and low end work, it will be pulling some heavy things once on the road again. I also use it to plow snow. And I like to learn things, so it's why I want to. My dad has his own reasons, but a big one for an oil cooler for him is he routinely exceeds the normal operating conditions of his truck in terms of weight. See the ladder rack? Tools, tools, block(stone Mason), trailers, and more tools. He also pulls some heavy trailers of scrap. He also has a automatic transmission so he may benefit from a trans cooler. My 1980 is not an auto, otherwise I would be considering the same. But I will be considering a power steering cooler for more than one reason, but it's a 3/4 ton with a HD front end, a heavy ass bumper, and half the year with a snow plow.

But that's my reasons for wanting coolers, but if you would offer any advice or help that would be great :)

Such as, if you know a gmt400 cooler would easily or with little work fit into a square?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You have zero idea of what your oil temps are and the conditions you describe don't necessarily indicate that either truck would have high oil temps. If the water is fine and the truck isn't living at 5000 RPM then chances are your oil is just fine. Oil follows water at normal RPMs, it only skyrockets when you really have your foot in it for a long time (high RPM only, not plowing). I haul all the time and my trucks keep their cool with the factory cooling. You can do more harm than good by overcooling the oil. Idling puts zero heat into the oil too FYI.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have zero idea of what your oil temps are and the conditions you describe don't necessarily indicate that either truck would have high oil temps. If the water is fine and the truck isn't living at 5000 RPM then chances are your oil is just fine. Oil follows water at normal RPMs, it only skyrockets when you really have your foot in it for a long time (high RPM only, not plowing). I haul all the time and my trucks keep their cool with the factory cooling. You can do more harm than good by overcooling the oil. Idling puts zero heat into the oil too FYI.
Well you don't know where my revs lie based on gear ratios, tires, clutch dumping, and 283(to be fair, 283 is to come, atm it's 350) and that would create some heat. But I'm actually upgrading my radiator soon to the 2wd 454 rad, which will have unused oil cooler ports. Because I don't have a auto trans, I at the very least want to use that for oil to warm it up in winter and the rad will cool the truck more than adequately. And if I do that, the oil cooler in front of the radiator would be suitable for a power steering application, no? :)

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well you don't know where my revs lie based on gear ratios, tires, clutch dumping, and 283(to be fair, 283 is to come, atm it's 350) and that would create some heat. But I'm actually upgrading my radiator soon to the 2wd 454 rad, which will have unused oil cooler ports. Because I don't have a auto trans, I at the very least want to use that for oil to warm it up in winter and the rad will cool the truck more than adequately. And if I do that, the oil cooler in front of the radiator would be suitable for a power steering application, no? :)

So then what are your sustained RPMs since I don't know?