External oil cooler fitment (retrofit to square bodys?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lol 98 but it's ok. Second that's my aux trans cooler. Just throwing my 2cents. This sub is 2wd c1500. Stock setup pretty much. But what came with it was a bigger radiator then the v6, transmission cooler went through the radiator on the passenger side, oil cooler went through the driver side radiator (same radiator) gm included a aux trans cooler for suburbans. Anyways I guess my point is just an idea of a set up you may be able to go for. As far as the cooler concerned easy to bolt on so long as the radiator support with in the measurement. Or if need be I'm sure you can fab longer straps. But just wanted to explain that a little. Also lot of guys here who do a lot of heavy towing have switched that cooler for a bigger ones. (Aftermarket)

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So then what are your sustained RPMs since I don't know?
When doing anything on property i keep 3k or more, and on the highway math shows me it would be(as it will eventually be the case) turning just a shy over 3k at 70. I also have sm465 so I'm only dealing with 3 synchronized forward gears. So I'm using spaced out gears.
Like I said, if I'm not using an external I'd like to use a radiator one so I can warm up fluid. I'm only looking at external for oil simply because I have some of the parts and I can't use the original the truck came with. If I could easily fit one, great. If I can't, I'd like to use a radiator. But If I use a radiator, then if I put one in anyway, perhaps It would do good for my PS fluid. You seem really tense.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lol 98 but it's ok. Second that's my aux trans cooler. Just throwing my 2cents. This sub is 2wd c1500. Stock setup pretty much. But what came with it was a bigger radiator then the v6, transmission cooler went through the radiator on the passenger side, oil cooler went through the driver side radiator (same radiator) gm included a aux trans cooler for suburbans. Anyways I guess my point is just an idea of a set up you may be able to go for. As far as the cooler concerned easy to bolt on so long as the radiator support with in the measurement. Or if need be I'm sure you can fab longer straps. But just wanted to explain that a little. Also lot of guys here who do a lot of heavy towing have switched that cooler for a bigger ones. (Aftermarket)
Yes I appreciate the pic and insight. I figured it was trans because it was on the passenger side. But the bracket pic helps because it shows me what was and likely what can be found etc

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Glad it help. Also for power steering I just through in a new stock one that came with the gmt400s. I installed that on the driver side left side of headlight. It's a narrow long cooler

You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Glad it help. Also for power steering I just through in a new stock one that came with the gmt400s. I installed that on the driver side left side of headlight. It's a narrow long cooler

Special mounting hardware?

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1/4 sheet metal screws. Found where I wanted it to sit and screwed it in. I recommend ac delco though if you go for it. Dorman was getting surface rust. I had to drill a hole on my radiator support to route the power steering lines to the gear box.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
When doing anything on property i keep 3k or more, and on the highway math shows me it would be(as it will eventually be the case) turning just a shy over 3k at 70. I also have sm465 so I'm only dealing with 3 synchronized forward gears. So I'm using spaced out gears.
Like I said, if I'm not using an external I'd like to use a radiator one so I can warm up fluid. I'm only looking at external for oil simply because I have some of the parts and I can't use the original the truck came with. If I could easily fit one, great. If I can't, I'd like to use a radiator. But If I use a radiator, then if I put one in anyway, perhaps It would do good for my PS fluid. You seem really tense.

You seem like you're missing the point.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Jw is this what your talking about installing?

That's the GMT400 trans cooler. It was designed as a trans cooler and the passages are probably not big enough to serve as a oil cooler--otherwise I would have put one on a long time ago because I have couple factory trans coolers laying around.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1/4 sheet metal screws. Found where I wanted it to sit and screwed it in. I recommend ac delco though if you go for it. Dorman was getting surface rust. I had to drill a hole on my radiator support to route the power steering lines to the gear box.

My alignment guy swears by power steering coolers. He says over the years he has seen a trend where power steering pumps and steering gears last longer with a cooler.