exhaust help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shadow

Reaction score
I have a 95 5.7L, and I'm looking for an exhaust that will give me a loud but not too loud nice deep rumble without any pops or crackling sounds. I hear so many trucks in my town that sound like this, anyone know the setup to achieve this sound? Any input is appreciated, this is my first time ever doing exhaust on any of my vehicles.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree about too loud mufflers. When I bought my truck it already had a 3" 3-chamber muffler which sounds great IMO, no drone at highway speeds etc. It may be more restrictive than you would want though.

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
I ran 3" edelbrock headers and cat back with there flow thru muffler with out the cat....sounded good

Jw98Vortec

Reaction score
I’m looking for same suggestions. Thinking long tube hooker 2462. With dual 2 1/2. 2 1/2 y pipe if I can find one. Patriot had some nice long tube headers as well.

Spookers

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Say what you like but the set up I'm running changed little by little from when I got the truck to now and each being better and better sound, started with a flowmaster 40 single 3 in dual 2.5 out cat back kit with the cat gutted when I got it. First thing I changed was swap the 3" single for a 4" single from the y-pipe to muffler (this maybe what you wanna do as this was tame but made good rumbles when you stood on it, the 4" got rid of drone that the 3" had and gave it a throatier tone), next I changed from dual 2.5s to dual 4" with 5" rolled end tips (this only made it louder at wot), next and finally I installed headers and made a 3" y-pipe

Jw98Vortec

Reaction score
Ok so I’ve been researching a lot about headers, the bolts, y-pipe and cat back. Gonna go with hooker 2462 probably fabricated mandrel bent 2 1/2” y- pipe and a mandrel bent single 3” cat back. Ordering soon... looks like I’ll have trouble with the old and new manifold bolts. By the way it’s a 305 vortec, and I know should just 350 it now but I want something to do.. I hope this sounds ok and up for any suggestions about this topic, R&R, tips about labor and such. Just got it so have tune up and brake ones to do still. Bought al new stainless brake lines. Anyway just thought I’d ask and show myself on this forum. By the way y’all really help and have a lot of good insight and it’s greatky appreciated from my end. Just something to build with my son and pass the time. Thanks for anything and everything y’all can help with.