Need a cheap exhaust system for my 88 k1500 5.7 and need help making sure I buy the right stuff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88sclb350

Reaction score
88 k1500 5.7 with so many holes in my exhaust system from the y pipe down stream that I’m thinking of putting a new system on it.

My truck isn’t nice but the 350 can still sound decent without a bunch of leaks. So I’m looking for a cheapo system for a not great truck just to make it sound a tiny bit better.

Previous owner has a cherry bomb on it but it’s shot so I’m thinking for sound I may want to do something loud but not as loud as a straight pipe maybe a not very restrictive muffler or something, I don’t know exhaust systems at all so maybe that’s not a thing.

But I need a y-pipe, spring and bolt kit for that to go on my manifolds, and then a complete down stream system from that any recommendations would be appreciated.

Side note my truck does have and o2 sensor in the y pipe but the wires were clipped by previous owner and to my knowledge it doesn’t affect the way this truck runs and doesn’t put on the dummy light. So I may need an o2 sensor plug unless I can get this old clipped wire one off and I’ll plump that one into the system.

I just need to know what size y pipe to get and then what size exhaust system I need whether it’s an ID I need or OD. And then can I put it together with just clamps no welding? Thank you all.

Attachments

• IMG_5375.jpeg
    IMG_5375.jpeg
    477.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

88sclb350

Reaction score

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Are you sure you can unbolt your existing system from the manifolds? First Guess: Rusted so bad the studs will break. Good luck.

2. An '88 would not have come with an O2 sensor in the Y-pipe. Someone's already changed that.

3. Buy an exhaust system based on performance, not the noise it makes. The louder it is, the more you'll attract Police Attention. Which is only a good thing if it keeps them away from me.

4. A local exhaust shop can crush-bend a system for minimal money. Quality tends to be low, as is the service life before it rusts-out again.

5. I installed a Flowmaster cat-back system on my '88 twenty-something years ago. Fit wonderfully. Lasted about ten years, and never was as quiet as I wanted. Eventually developed holes big enough to push a kitten through. Aluminized steel sucks, the original systems were Stainless.

6. When I needed an exhaust system on my '97, I went to the Treasure Yard, and got OEM stainless pipes and muffler from a similar truck. I paid about $20 for the whole cat-back works, then had to adapt 'n' weld to my existing cat-forward system. Even the hangers lined-up. Probably your best bet.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I needed an exhaust system on my '97, I went to the Treasure Yard, and got OEM stainless pipes and muffler from a similar truck. I paid about $20 for the whole cat-back works, then had to adapt 'n' weld to my existing cat-forward system. Even the hangers lined-up. Probably your best bet.
+1 Do you have any U-Pull-It yards nearby?
A couple weeks ago I bought a complete exhaust for my son's truck at Pull-A-Part. It's a dinky 2-into-1 exhaust, but it bolted in.

It helps if you have a welder. The Suburban I got the exhaust from had the crossmember behind the transmission riveted in place and I had to cut the exhaust in two to get it out.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
I did the Jegs offroad y pipe. It's dual set up and catless. Then got the dynomax h-pipe to slip on to it and runnin dual hooker aero chambers. Both 96 and 98 have same exhaust other than my 98 has tailpipes from some amazon supplier to shoot out on either side of hitch. 96 dumps before axle. If you go for duals don't use Flowmaster kit. The pipes come out at different heights and different distance back from each back wheel. On folks Cadillac I got the dynomax flange back kit. Gonna be puttin that on this weekend.

Other than headers my exhaust set ups were fairly inexpensive compared to other cat backs.

Sorry for

Extra lines. Dumb cursor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake rogers