94 k1500 5.7 no start help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rebbrooks1

Reaction score
So I just got this 94 k1509 5.7. It wasn’t very well maintained the plugs were terrible probably the worst I’ve ever seen. Radiator looked like mud, bogging down, poor acceleration. So it had a new alternator not installed like I was told still in the box. New ac compressor installed improperly and leaking with no oil in it. But here we go I’ve replaced plugs, egr delete, both coolant sensor and switch replaced, rebuilt distributor new pickup coil new ignition control module, new cap and rotor, replaced coil and 1 severely damaged plug wire, replaced knock sensor. Also replaced the fuel pump and rebuilt the TBI and did a coolant flush but probably needs done again I think the block is still clogged up a little. So the truck has been dying at stop lights when it’s hot out and even worse when the AC is on. And kinda just running like crap when it’s hot, almost acts like vapor locking. So today drove around half the day no real issues parked for about 20min was cranky to start. Drove up the road about 2 miles to get gas and went to leave and won’t start. Has spark like gold yellow color not blue like I hear other people describe so replaced the coil and ignition control module. Still nothing has strong gas odor and has smelled very rich since I’ve had the truck for all of about 2 weeks. So go to tow the truck to a buddy’s house and he said hey whats your truck leaking. I notice a little gas coming out of the side of the TBI but he shows me a pool of liquid under the truck. Turns out it’s strait gas coming out of my exhaust pipe. I’m at a loss here though I can’t afford to really just keep throwing more parts at it. Any ideas?? I’m desperate

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
notice a little gas coming out of the side of the TBI
Fix that first.

So the truck has been dying at stop lights when it’s hot out and even worse when the AC is on. And kinda just running like crap when it’s hot, almost acts like vapor locking. So today drove around half the day no real issues parked for about 20min was cranky to start. Drove up the road about 2 miles to get gas and went to leave and won’t start.
It sounds like you have a vacuum leak, but that doesn't explain the gas from the tailpipe. What are the plugs reading? Rich? Lean? Oily?

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Well, if you've actually got gas coming out of your tail pipe I'd go through that TBI unit again. Gonna need to change the oil again and make sure the cylinders aren't hydolocked. I noticed what appeared to be a leak right under my fuel pressure regulator. Being lazy and questioning the age of my injectors & their condition, I bought one of these from fleabay: reconditioned injector pod. Comes with flow matched injectors and a new fuel pressure regulator. I thought my truck ran good before, but it runs great now, much smoother on the freeway and easier to get going from a stop or when rowing through gears.

Also, you need to get a scan tool so you can watch/log live data as you drive around. I was also getting a lean code, found my O2 sensor is being lazy. However, I threw the recon'd injector pod on it and haven't looked at the data stream since, will be a week this Sunday. I think 1994 still has the electrical bus bar on the passenger side firewall. Clean up all the connections made there and check the wiring going to the ignition module and coil. Clean up your grounds too. I'd be interested in seeing what your IAC motor is doing at idle, your O2 sensor cross counts and your block learn/integrator numbers.

Condor78

Reaction score
My number one would be to fix the gas leak. Number 2- Make sure all the ground wires are in good order. Block to frame, cab and the ones on the front of the motor. Replace any that are gummed up. From the sounds of it, they are probably not and that could cause any or all of the above other than the gas leak. Good luck!