Engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As for the trans, it’s obviously something that everyone has a different opinion on. I’ve never owned one, but I know a guy who has one behind his 355 racing engine in his ‘94 SCLB gmt400. Its rebuilt idk about built, but it holds up. He’s done a couple burnouts with me in it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Enlighten me please? Lol

I know I'm not who you asked... But I've killed two 4L60Es in my relatively stock V6 truck. The second one was a pretty expensive build. After the second one I swapped to a 4L80E in that truck and I've been extremely happy with that decision.

My Suburban still has a functioning 4L60E (knock on wood) but if it ever dies I'm 4L80E swapping it too.

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
4L60Es typically burn out due to a combination of design flaws and typical wear/tear rather than the amount of power running through it. Due to the design, the wear pattern on the friction band/plate is a common cause of failure. (A good rebuild kit can replace those flawed components)
I beat the **** out of 4l60e in my dad's 96 K1500 with a 350. That truck as a whole just refused to die lol. When I rebuilt my 4l60e I threw in a Sonnax kevlar band but didn't replace the rev/input the drum. Been driving it for about 4500km now :pepper:

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I beat the **** out of 4l60e in my dad's 96 K1500 with a 350. That truck as a whole just refused to die lol. When I rebuilt my 4l60e I threw in a Sonnax kevlar band but didn't replace the rev/input the drum. Been driving it for about 4500km now :pepper:
my dad abused my gmt 400 for like 2 years with 2000 pounds almost always on the bed somehow and its a c1500 from 96. it has a cooler tho. only died when he started shifting it with a rigged shifter because the shifter cable broke... he probably wasnt in the detents properly of the gears....