Engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dyates99

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just picked up a very clean 98 gmc z71 with vortec 5.7 for dirt cheap. Motor has some issues so I’m looking to do a motor swap. I do daily drive a 97 Chevy k1500 so I’m pretty familiar with these trucks. I’d like to get this one pretty souped up but nothing too crazy. Looking for ideas on engines. Kinda thinking another 350 cammed and upgraded fuel injection. Open to ideas on LS swap or 383. Just not sure about extra work for the different motor. Any input here would be greatly appreciated!

dyates99

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That’s kinda what I’m leaning towards. Another 350, cam, heads, fuel injection and long tube headers. My budget is about 5-6k. Any opinions on what motor to order and from where?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
One of our members recently put a crate 383 in his 98 Burb, he should be able to tell you what's involved ( besides the$$$$ for the engine!).
I think he has a build thread or at least one on the job. @SUBURBAN5 , "Suburban down" is the title IIRC.

dyates99

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it was me I would just do cam, heads, and upgrade the fuel injection on another same year 350, if I was on a budget. If I could afford to dump a lot more money into it I would probably do a 383 cam, heads, carburetor, long tube headers.
Will the stock (4L60E) tranny and converter hold up with those upgrades? I don’t plan on making crazy horsepower. Just something more than stock. And the lope sound would be pretty cool. Not gunna be doing any drag racing. Will just be a ride around town truck.This will be my first motor swap so if putting another 350 with some upgrades is simpler than a 5.3 or 383 I’m cool with that.

dyates99

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of our members recently put a crate 383 in his 98 Burb, he should be able to tell you what's involved ( besides the$$$$ for the engine!).
I think he has a build thread or at least one on the job. @SUBURBAN5 , "Suburban down" is the title IIRC.
I’ll have to check that out! I’m just not very familiar with the 383. Been driving a k1500 with a 350 for about 8 years now so I’ve changed plenty of parts on that motor

dyates99

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Starting to look into the lt4 hot cam. Will I have to change some internals or will I be able to stick that cam shaft in and run with it?

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here’s the advice you’re gonna be told by every single professional on here(again I’m not one of those). Call the company you are going to buy from and they will set you up with the right cam for you.