engine replacement questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brockali

Reaction score
So after 3 months of having my 92 k1500 i blew 2 connecting rods and mangled the bloack. giving in i bought a used engine (5.7L small block out of a 98 sierra) which came with a new wiring harness and ECU. Ive never done an engine replacement like this and im just looking to have some questions answered. 1) Do i get rid of the old ECU with the old engine and just use the new one in its place? 2) if yes to 1) would it cause any problems and would i have to do any computer work to get it running?

Any answers would be very helpfull

mistaake

Reaction score
Hmmm... keep in mind that the 92 and the 98 are different even if both were the 5.7L. The 96+ engines use a completely different fuel injection system and a lot of the electronics are different.

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmmm... keep in mind that the 92 and the 98 are different even if both were the 5.7L. The 96+ engines use a completely different fuel injection system and a lot of the electronics are different.
Yep you're opening a hornets nest swapping a tbi for a vortec. It can certainly be done but if you want to "plug and play " sell the vortec and get a tbi.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Use just the vortec motor and retain the tbi fuel system. You'll have to get a tbi vortec manifold or use a carb manifold with. Carb to tbi adapter plate.

Rusty Nail

Artificial membership inflator
Reaction score
^lol.

Fuel delivery will likely become the final straw. Consider the Vortex runs at near DOUBLE the TBI fuel pressure.
To answer part of your initial inquiry, yes.

In order to perform a 1:1swap, remove EVERYTHING TBI and replace it with the VORTEX stuff. Computer, wires, sensors, everything. In aside, your '92 transmission SHOULD function normally as a stand alone *without a lockup torque convertor.

Hornet's nest someone said? I agree. Is the exhaust even different? I do not know.
If it were me

-and it NEVER would be -

my most desireable option would consist of swapping the long block ONLY and transferring everything else (manifold up +sensors) over to the new engine but I don't even know if that is possible. Certainly not worth the trouble, IMO. When you get finished it'll prolly end up a hack-job p.o.s. anyway. Not talking smack, i'm being serious. Getting it gas is going to SUCK. $1000?

If money is not a determining factor, pay a shop to be liable for a turn-key swap if you are set on having VORTEX. It's really just the cylinder heads anyway. You're talkin 40 horse over your TBI heads and GOOD LUCK keepin that VORTEX runnin after you hack it into a '92. Better have a stand by so you can get to work.

If you are determined to do it, consider fuel delivery and transmission issues also.

That is an awesome reply.

Last edited: