Camshaft replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, I'll send the engine to my mechanic and let see how deep is the damage and what can I save.

About my original question, could you give me your opinion please.

These current springvalves will match with a one step down less agressive cam?

These are the installed currently:
You must be registered for see images attach
You really need to look through Lunati catalog, It might call for the same springs, it might not. Too much spring pressure can be as bad as not enough.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only things I'm going to say about valve springs are:
1. Better to use stiffer springs with a more-mild cam, than mild springs with a wild cam, PROVIDED:
2. If those springs have more than 300 pounds of pressure at whatever the fully-open "over-the-nose" cam lift is, you're going to have problems.

So you need to figure out how much pressure those springs provided at whatever the lift is on the cam you choose.

For the record: I won't use a flat-tappet cam unless it's been nitrided. This will easily double the cost of the cam. Nitriding was a hundred dollars the last time I bought one, and that's easy ten years ago, probably longer.

Last edited:

MiGorda

Reaction score
Ok, I'll search info in the catalog like Hipster mentioned.

I guess Barebones are cheap cams, I'll try to get a Vodoo, as I mentioned, it lasted over 12 years even with a engine in not perfect conditions.

Thanks Schurkey

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Voodoo would be the faster rate of lift cams......personally I stay away from those types of grinds with flat tappets.