Engine replacement-list of components/sensors to replace

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98Bacon

Reaction score
I'm going to be pulling the factory 5.7 (315,000mi) from my 98 Silverado and dropping a crate motor in soon. I'm trying to put together a parts list and begin purchasing/preparing for the swap so that I can do this as quickly and efficiently as possible. This is the crate I'm leaning towards but I could be pursuaded to go elsewhere https://westcoastengines.com/chevy-350-engine/57-vortec. I've never done an engine swap before so I will probably have a ton of questions for you guys and will greatly appreciate any advice you can give.
What are some of of the parts that I should definitely replace vs swap over?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
This......

If available, I have more faith in Delphi sensors/electronics.

For our trucks, I'd think they're often the same thing. I've always heard a lot of Delphi plants closed during their bankruptcy, so some of their parts for our trucks are either no longer produced, or are produced elsewhere.... for instance they don't even have a thermal devision any more so there are no more Delphi radiators, and the blower motor they have for us, is Chinese.

Kevco2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the HT383e truck re-power crate motor. It just bolts right in and re-uses all the stock components

98Bacon

Reaction score
I understand that everything CAN be swapped over and I'm all about being thrifty here but.... I'd also like to be smart. For example I was told I should be buying a new a radiator (seems logical), exhaust manifold bolts...? Also it would seem to me that replacing some of sensors that are difficult to get at might be worth replacing before the new motor goes in. Just trying to plan ahead partly because I live in a pretty rural area and would rather order ahead than be driving 30 minutes to the parts store.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I understand that everything CAN be swapped over and I'm all about being thrifty here but.... I'd also like to be smart. For example I was told I should be buying a new a radiator (seems logical), exhaust manifold bolts...? Also it would seem to me that replacing some of sensors that are difficult to get at might be worth replacing before the new motor goes in. Just trying to plan ahead partly because I live in a pretty rural area and would rather order ahead than be driving 30 minutes to the parts store.
Just stick to Delphi and AC Delco when you can. I've got a BWD EGR on my truck and it hasn't given me any trouble in about 12k miles. If you choose to go all new, I would keep the sensors that are known or assumed to be working, just in case you get some cheap chinese crap that fails prematurely.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
...Just trying to plan ahead partly because I live in a pretty rural area and would rather order ahead than be driving 30 minutes to the parts store.

You're not likely to find Delphi or ACdelco in stock at the parts store. They'll often order it for you, but it's better to just get them online.