Electronic Caveman!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been awhile since I owned an electronically controlled engine(bout 22yrs) and I never did anything to those other than normal maintenance.
Enter Smoky,my 91 C1500 SCSB with a very tired 305. Now ol Smoky is a nice solid truck but the motor is pretty close to toast. Been driving around with a tow strap,a 7/16 end wrench to pull the driveshaft and my cell phone with my brothers number on speed dial.

Enter ElCie,my 78 ElCamino that is a total rust bucket but has a stout low mileage 355 under the hood.

Y'all can see where this is going.

The 355 is a 79 two bolt truck block with 79 Z28 1.94 heads(441's IIRC) that have been ported and relieved,chambers smoothed and port matched to a edelbrock dual plane air gap manifold and long tubes with 3" X 16" collector extensions. TRW single eyebrow slugs for about 9.5:1 Lunati asymetric 5700 RPM cam. Starts pulling at 1500 and puts your head against the rear window at 2500. The advertised top end is 5700 but it pulls beyond that. Has a little lope but still decent vacuum.
My first thought was to drop it in the truck with the Q-jet and HEI and use an adjustable vacuum switch to lock up the convertor. But I'm really beginning to like my TBI.

Enter new plan,
Use a 454 TB with adapter for the existing intake. A better fuel pump in the tank. A hotter coil. WB02,,,Heated?
Keep the 8.5" ring gear and drop the gearing to 3.42-3.55 and add a limited slip chunk.
Tranny is still up in the air. The truck has the 4L60 that I would freshen up and do small improvements to short of buying a shift kit. My TH350 in ElCie has strength improvements but all I did to improve shifts was polish the spool valves and remove the second and high accumulator springs used lighter springs in the governor and adjusted the modulator valve. It burns first and second and chirps third with 2.70 gears.
Or use a NV3500 I have that needs rebuilt which means installing clutch and brake pedal set up.
The tranny is out of a 98 S-10 that was behind a 262 vortec.

Then,,,,,,,,,,learn how to tune the thing.
PCM is a 1227747
I've been researching TunerPro RT. Thoughts?
EEPROM so I don't have to buy a wheelbarrow full of chips before I get it right?

I spent some time last night studying this site until I was crosseyed.

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then,,,,,,,,,,learn how to tune the thing.
PCM is a 1227747
I've been researching TunerPro RT. Thoughts?
EEPROM so I don't have to buy a wheelbarrow full of chips before I get it right?
FIFY :waytogo:

I just happen to have one of these too (still have all that stuff laying around somewhere, ha ha). Ran it for a while until I gave up and went to the faster EBL

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After even more research I've come to the conclusion that I'd be better off with the 16197427 PCM.
Someone explain BAUD and why more makes it better. Speed?
Also would heated 02 sensors be acceptable? I have two that came out of that S-10.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any idea if they are WB? Found plenty of them but not much info.
No, it uses an NBO2. There is a way to tune with a WBO2 by setting it up so you can see it in your data log, then tune manually, not like the EBL.

If running an EEPROM do I need to remove the PROM to make changes?
Yes. You can get an Emulator installed to tune/modify your .bin real time.