Electric fans worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That looks like you are basically blocking off 50% of the airflow through your radiator.

L31 and I disagree on the electric fans, but probably just due to our specific experiences. I have dual electric fans on my 1980 K25 using a 97 K2500 Radiator and L29/4L80e setup. The fans never even come on unless I am stopped for an extended amount of time. low speed comes on with AC pressure and high speed for coolant temp. High speed takes about 5 minutes of idling in 100+ degree temps before it kicks on, then it runs for about 30 seconds before shutting back off again.

As for reliability... my 2011 Suburban has the exact same dual electric fan setup. It is at 220k miles and I use it to tow a 6k lb travel trailer all over the western US with zero cooling issues.

Fans don't block airflow, but shrouds absolutely do. I ditched the stock duals on my Z06 for a single unshrouded Spal that gets it done. My highway temps dropped about 7 degrees.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 97 k1500 with a 5.7. I was wondering if electric fans would be worth it.
Generally, no.

Would I need an upgraded alternator or is stock one good enough?
Kinda depends on the alternator you have now, the other loads it's supporting, and the amperage draw of the fan you select.

Is there really any noticeable hp differences?
No.

And what would it take to install one of these?
The cynic in me says "more money than sense". But some folks that I otherwise trust have had reasonable luck with them. What those folks have in common is that they're not buying "budget" aftermarket fans. They're either getting decent OEM fans of appropriate capacity, or buying expensive high-capacity aftermarket units.

MOSTLY, I see postings on this forum and others, where folks convert to an electric fan, then have overheating problems that are completely "unsolveable". The money and effort they expend trying to get the overheating under control is amazing. They get fed-up a couple of years later and convert back to clutch fans.

Don't get me started on electric fan shrouds that don't have some sort of flapper to allow "ram air" to escape the shroud at higher vehicle speed.

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For my last truck, ('80 C10/5.3) I used a fan assy. from a Ford Windstar. It had no problem cooling the truck, and no big power loss with the stock LS alternater. I'll be making a similar LS swap to my '89 Cheyenne, and will be using a fan assy. from a '2008 Chrysler Sebring. The radiator will be a stock unit for a 350 sbc, and the fans will be pwm controlled with a controller from Autocoolguy.com. As you can see from the below pics, the fan assy. has two large 13" fans, and the shrouding will cover the entire radiator core

Attachments

• DSCN0659.JPG
    DSCN0659.JPG
    311.4 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN0663.JPG
    DSCN0663.JPG
    292.7 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN0664.JPG
    DSCN0664.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 23

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good thread. I have a 'heavy duty' fan clutch on my 97 L29, and the damn thing runs all the time, hot days AND cold. I assume the fluid is cold and stiff, but some days it never does warm up enough to disengage. I wanted to put on an electric after the engine swap in progress now, but I am reconsidering. Is there a particular clutch you guys like? Maybe an electric clutch on a mech fan may be ideal. Is there such a thing? or maybe rig up an ac compressor clutch?

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good thread. I have a 'heavy duty' fan clutch on my 97 L29, and the damn thing runs all the time, hot days AND cold. I assume the fluid is cold and stiff, but some days it never does warm up enough to disengage. I wanted to put on an electric after the engine swap in progress now, but I am reconsidering. Is there a particular clutch you guys like? Maybe an electric clutch on a mech fan may be ideal. Is there such a thing? or maybe rig up an ac compressor clutch?
The Trailblazer used an electric clutch on a mechanical fan. Not sure how it was controlled or how practical the retrofit would be. I would be interested if anyone has experience to share.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The Trailblazer used an electric clutch on a mechanical fan. Not sure how it was controlled or how practical the retrofit would be. I would be interested if anyone has experience to share.

So they did get the 5.3, and supposedly a TBSS clutch and Dmax fan is one good setup. I got to wondering that earlier myself. I wonder which PCM an early Trailblazer with a 5.3 would have gotten? The PCM controlled the fan, but it may have talked to a module in between the 2 as well to do so.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the electric clutch because it can be commanded on right at startup, moving massive amounts of airflow while the engine is cool and the ac is struggling to cool a heat soaked interior.

Yes, I remember you installed an electric clutch. Like one of these? (link)

Were you commanding in on/off with an 0411 ECU?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, I remember you installed an electric clutch. Like one of these? (link)

Were you commanding in on/off with an 0411 ECU?
Those are the ones. Trailblazer SS electronic clutch as opposed to the severe duty thermal I had prior. Currently its simply controlled by a relay off the P59s fan output.

I actually discovered recently the programming for the electronic fan clutch is already in the P59 GMT800 L31 calibration. It is already pre-programmed for duty cycles to control the actual fan RPM vs engine rpm. That tells me that the code the runs the P59 runs the EV Clutch. Now to figure out a factory application that uses it and thus a wiring diagram for the clutch to controller and PCM output/input for it.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach