electric fan accessory switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billgmcallen

Reaction score
Can someone let me know what wire to connect my electric fan to on my 1991 gmc k1500. I'm tired of the fan running when the truck is off. I have the control module that allows it to come on and turn off at certain temps but now I just want to know what wire to tap into to get it to shut off when I turn off the ignition.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is the control module built? Does it have its own power wire from the battery? If so, then I would suggest putting a relay between the module and the power source that is energized by a key-on hot wire. That way you are drawing power directly from the battery and only switching it off of the ignition hot. The fuel pump relay should have a ignition hot that's accessible from the engine compartment, though there may be a better one to use.

Billgmcallen

Reaction score
It has a power cable that goes to the battery positive and another wire that is hooked to the battery (12 volt source) with an inline fuse. If you run it to the battery it will run until it has cooled to the min temp setting. The same wire, with the fuse can connect to an accessory power source which will turn the fan off with the ignition. I just want to know what guys have done, I've thought about piggybacking the ecm/ignition fuse but that would require more wire then I really wanted to use.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i tapped mine right into the distribution block, i have it so key on i have power as well as accesory. but i also have it switched to a port in the block so when it gets to a certain temp it will turn on.