EGR Delete - Will I benefit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justen

Reaction score
I would question why someone wouldn't go ahead and just dive into custom tuning at this point anyway and get some benefit out of the "mods"

Richard

How would you go about tuning on an 88 TBI 5.7 stock exhaust manifolds cat delete to flow master dumped? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Justen

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How would you go about tuning on an 88 TBI 5.7 stock exhaust manifolds cat delete to flow master dumped? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
There's a few ways to do this;
1) You can get a UV EPROM eraser and burner, and burn your own, not the best way to go (old School). Some guys over in GearHeadEFI still have the capability to do this.
2) (better) You can solder in a 28 pin chip holder to accept the 27SF512 flash EEPROM. You'll need TunerPro RT v5x, and ALDL to USB cable, Moates Burn2 chip flasher, and, of course a laptop. In the XDF mask ($42-1227747-V5.9.3) there are hacks for EGR delete, Hyway Lean Cruise, and a patch so you can monitor your injector DC and Pulse rate. I did this for a while but the OE 1227747 ECM was too slow (160 baud rate) and the tables too small for higher revs.
3) (Best IMHO) Get the Dynamic EFI FlashII (for ~ $450) which runs at 8192 baud, has automatic VE tuning which will also tune WOT with a WBO2, can run boost and N2O. Has 8 "banks" so you can flash and store 8 different calibrations on it. It uses TunerPro RT for modifying your .bin and it's own proprietary WUD (What's Up Display) where you can monitor/troubleshoot your system as well as data log. Down the road, if you change anything on your engine, you can easily tune for it.

In all 3 options, TunerPro RT is the best tool

Justen

Reaction score
There's a few ways to do this;
1) You can get a UV EPROM eraser and burner, and burn your own, not the best way to go (old School). Some guys over in GearHeadEFI still have the capability to do this.
2) (better) You can solder in a 28 pin chip holder to accept the 27SF512 flash EEPROM. You'll need TunerPro RT v5x, and ALDL to USB cable, Moates Burn2 chip flasher, and, of course a laptop. In the XDF mask ($42-1227747-V5.9.3) there are hacks for EGR delete, Hyway Lean Cruise, and a patch so you can monitor your injector DC and Pulse rate. I did this for a while but the OE 1227747 ECM was too slow (160 baud rate) and the tables too small for higher revs.
3) (Best IMHO) Get the Dynamic EFI FlashII (for ~ $450) which runs at 8192 baud, has automatic VE tuning which will also tune WOT with a WBO2, can run boost and N2O. Has 8 "banks" so you can flash and store 8 different calibrations on it. It uses TunerPro RT for modifying your .bin and it's own proprietary WUD (What's Up Display) where you can monitor/troubleshoot your system as well as data log. Down the road, if you change anything on your engine, you can easily tune for it.

In all 3 options, TunerPro RT is the best tool
So if i go with option 3 would i still have to solder in a 28 pin? Also where is the best place to get this stuff?
Thanks for the reply

I thought about buying a jet chip but its not the route i want to take as you can't see live or tune anything yourself its just a prom swap

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if i go with option 3 would i still have to solder in a 28 pin?
No, RBob @ DynamicEFI can take your ECM and convert it to the EBL (Embedded Lockers), send it back to you and, all you have to do, is plug it in and play with it!

Here's his website
https://www.dynamicefi.com/

Here's the EBL that you want
https://www.dynamicefi.com/EBL_Flash.php

Check it out and read all of the supporting documentation. There's a thread that dedicates itself to the EBL starting back in 2006 to recent, 95 pages and still going! He has great support here and on other sites as well as direct email.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-prom/356351-tuning-ebl.html

Edit: his system (EBL Flash2) comes with a USB cable to connect your laptop with the EBL, you don't even need the ALDL/USB cable, or any accessories, to flash/monitor/data log your system. It all comes complete except TunerPro RT - lots of good stuff here too!
http://www.tunerpro.net/

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a snapshot of his WUD. This shows my injectors' DC @ 5200 was @109% (with a WBO2) which means they were open all the time. I had to increase fuel pressure to bring it down to optimal ~85%.
You must be registered for see images attach

Enjoy!

Justen

Reaction score
Here's a snapshot of his WUD. This shows my injectors' DC @ 5200 was @109% (with a WBO2) which means they were open all the time. I had to increase fuel pressure to bring it down to optimal ~85%.

Enjoy!

Thanks for all this great info i will forsure look into getting this I'm good with computers but the programming look pretty daunting lol

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you have the EGR deleted from the PCM?

In the EBL you just set CTS Enable Threshold so high it won't come on. Here it's ~304* F. I hope your engine never gets that hot, LOL.

Then you "un-set" the Option flag for EGR so you don't get the SES light.

In the 7747 ECM there's a "patch" you set.

And, in the 7747 you "un-set" the Malf Flag for EGR so, again, you don't get the SES light.

Illbedipped

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a stupid EGR question for this old thread. On my OBD1 92 5.7, does the ECM know if the EGR is even functioning?