EGR Delete - Will I benefit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Meh, PCM only delete is sufficient to keep the intake clean.
In theory you're right, but in real world I'd go ahead and swap the EGR for a blockoff plate. The valves can fail in a way that will let it open when it shouldn't. If you wanna be rid of it, be rid of it for real, IMO.

For those saying it won't ping...y'all are either way luckier than I've been (more than once) or you're just wrong. Or maybe it was just way easier for me to notice the pinging on my '94 Suburban because it had stock quiet exhaust.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No matter how much it pulls, I don't think letting to knock sensors account for the egr delete is a good idea.. Might work temporarily, but definitely should not be a long term solution.
I would question why someone wouldn't go ahead and just dive into custom tuning at this point anyway and get some benefit out of the "mods"

Richard

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In theory you're right, but in real world I'd go ahead and swap the EGR for a blockoff plate. The valves can fail in a way that will let it open when it shouldn't. If you wanna be rid of it, be rid of it for real, IMO.

For those saying it won't ping...y'all are either way luckier than I've been (more than once) or you're just wrong. Or maybe it was just way easier for me to notice the pinging on my '94 Suburban because it had stock quiet exhaust.

Richard

I have added more timing than the EGR adds on both stock TBI engines and Vortec engines. Perhaps I never see detonation issues because I run 91+ octane. It is cleaner burning and has more additives to clean things. My gas is typically Shell or Chevron.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would question why someone wouldn't go ahead and just dive into custom tuning at this point anyway and get some benefit out of the "mods"

Richard

I would and do tune for this. I just experimented to see what would happen. In my experience it had Zero knock retard and the fuel trims ran a bit richer.

It also may have been just sheer luck but my old TBI never even set a check engine light for EGR. It was a conversion from a carb. I knew how the EGR control system worked and reused it to control the vacuum signal to my TCC vacuum switch on the 700r4 and eliminated all the vacuum crap on the carb intake. It had a TVS in the vacuum line. That engine also never pinged at 8° BTDC and it was 10.3:1 compression. 14022601 casting 53cc 305 heads and a Mellings MTC1 cam. Big block TBI with 350 injectors at 15 psi fuel pressure. If It had pinged it would have been very noticeable driving around with the engine cover off. Which is how I played with the timing to figure out what it liked.

Last edited:

Big Blocker

Reaction score
I am also deleting the emission components. What tuner shuts off the EGR in the ECM I cant find anything. Or how do I know what timing will be correct? I am running 100% stock 7.4L. Any info is helpful.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

Richard

Stock restrictive exhaust will also make an engine more knock prone.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Stock restrictive exhaust will also make an engine more knock prone.
While I did mention my '94 Suburban with the stock, quiet muffler - I graphed the knock count and knock retard on my '94 C2500LD which had a gutted cat and dumped Flowmaster. The exhaust manifolds on it had slightly larger I.D. too which I never even knew there was a difference until I broke a couple studs off in one and tried to find another in my own GMT400-specific salvage yard; all of the TBI 5.7 manifolds I had were smaller by .25" IIRC - and they were all from 1500's. So yeah; I ended up drilling out the broken studs.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run 91+ octane. It is cleaner burning and has more additives to clean things. My gas is typically Shell or Chevron.
1. I've never seen any evidence that octane rating is related to how "clean" a fuel burns.

2. There's no relationship between octane rating and detergent level. You want high-detergent fuel, buy fuel from a pump labeled "Top Tier". Top Tier fuel can be had in several octane ratings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Tier_Detergent_Gasoline