EBC Yellowstuff Brake Pads - Worth It?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am a big proponent of blank rotors on street vehicles. Drilled and slotted all too often leads to cracking. The advantage is only visual. Sure you lose some weight with holes in your rotors, but there are inherent thermal disadvantages to that as well.

The biggest benefit from having a larger rotor is that there is a greater mass for heat to be stored, which is really good for long or steep descents. With more area, your brake surface is able to stay within operating temperature better, and the surfaces are less likely to get too hot and fade.

When I did my brake upgrade on my escalade to NNBS i looked for quality blanks. I am running SSBC rotors. I did look at those brembos but had a hard time sourcing them. Definitely would have considered the EBCs @ $117/pair

I am running duralast pads... cant remember which ones. Either gold or the duralast gt carbon fiber ones. Quiet, no fade, stops great with hydroboost but it doesn't tow and isnt a racetruck.

Thanks for the input.

Regarding blank face rotors vs. drilled/slotted... I was always under the impression that blank rotors would deal with heat dissipation better as well, but one of EBC's big selling points for the dimpled and slotted GD series rotors I got is that they run 100-200 degrees cooler than a blank rotor during Europe's R90 brake stress tests. Granted I have no idea what those tests entail. I've also read the same about drilled rotors being more prone to cracking which is why I liked that the EBC GD rotors are not drilled all the way through, just dimpled and slotted. From what I've read slotted rotors don't tend to suffer from this type of damage as often as through-drilled ones.

When I do the brakes on my red truck I may think about the blank face EBC RK rotors I linked earlier at the top of page 4 instead of the GD dimpled/slotted ones I got for the Suburban this time. At half the price of the GDs everywhere except Amazon it would be interesting to compare differences between the two.

Redneckgeriatric

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
drilled and slotted are drilled and slotted for a reason.......to dissipate heat. some people are just full of internet lies and bullshit.
you want longevity? run solid rotors. you want cheap? run solid rotors

you want to run hard course , or run downhill and throw the brakes at the bottom of the curvy hill? you better dissipate some heat.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
drilled and slotted are drilled and slotted for a reason.......to dissipate heat. some people are just full of internet lies and bullshit.
you want longevity? run solid rotors. you want cheap? run solid rotors

you want to run hard course , or run downhill and throw the brakes at the bottom of the curvy hill? you better dissipate some heat.
If you are talking about a race car that changes rotors every track day sure but it makes no sense on a street truck...

Redneckgeriatric

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are talking about a race car that changes rotors every track day sure but it makes no sense on a street truck...

actually i was talking about technology from race cars being great for the street. as in trucks. trucks have higher weight to stop or slow. trucks haul loads, requiring better brakes to slow or stop, and to dissipate the heat quicker. trucks tow, requiring better brakes for slowing or stopping, and for shedding heat. hence the reference to running down hill and throwing on the brakes at the bottom.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Amazon gave me an updated delivery date today, looks like the order for the EBC stuff is going through! Got the GD7013s for $117, score!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Most of the drilled stuff is junk. Just because it looks like a race rotor doesn't mean it's made like one. The slotted and dimpled won't hurt longevity, but you probably won't ever turn them. I can't say you'll ever notice a difference in braking performance from rotors alone. You stand to gain and lose much, much more from the pads themselves. Purge the fluid while you're in there too.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The EBC Yellowstuff DP41273R pads showed up today. Looks like they've got a DOT edge code of EE from what I can tell. No other markings on them.

You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just ordered four BFGoodrich A/T KO2s in 245/75/R16, $755 and change from Tire Rack. Rotors should be here by Friday. As soon as everything shows up I'll make an appointment to get it all installed. Exciting times!

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EE is definitely the code. Thanks for remembering to share that! Can't wait to hear how they work.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
EE is definitely the code. Thanks for remembering to share that! Can't wait to hear how they work.

Absolutely! Part of the fun of this for me is comparing parts and I really appreciate the knowledge you shared regarding the DOT edge codes.

To be honest I was a little surprised at the EE code on those EBCs, I kind of expected the FF you found on the Akebono ProACT ceramics. Maybe EBC are sacrificing a bit of friction in favor of longevity and/or less fade with their Yellowstuff pads? Who knows... Either way I'd be curious to compare the performance and lifespan of those two. The Akebono ProACTs at a glance seem to be an awesome deal, higher coefficient of friction for half the price of the EBCs.