easy way to lower 2 inches on a 96 2dr 4wd??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
i have a 96 2dr 4wd and i was pretty content with the ride and suspension until i got in a friend of mines elcamio. he had some sway bars unter the hood and in the rear and some kind of hotchkis suspension kit. tokk me for a ride and his elco hit corners at 40mph with no problem. if i hit a corner going anything over 15 i think it will flip. i know nothing about suspension really i recent discovered the torx things and lowerd the front my self but the back sat up high and i hated it. i lifted it back up and now its uneven i feel like its titled smh

my question is...whas the easiest way to lower my truck about an inch or so and get way better handling...i have a 385 stroker and this thing has scared me a few times. taking corners. what bushings and stuff should i chamnge? sway bars etc? heres a pic of the truck when i lowered the front with the torsion keys..i wanna be able to jack it up and do it myself with out have to weld and ****

You must be registered for see images attach

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
Drop shackles in the rear and decrank the front. But at the end of the day your full size 4x4 will never handle like your buddies el camino.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Talk to norcal SS in the vendor section. He can hook you up with some sway bars. And the bar under the hood is a "strut tower bar". It ties the top of the struts together to help them support eachother (i think).

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Good shocks will help, too. I like urethane body & suspension bushings. Not everyone likes them 'cause of the ride, & they're a bit of work to install. You've got tires with quite a bit of sidewall, so they'll absorb the harshness, but they are a definite hinder to the overall handling. Lower profile tires with at least an 'H' rating would go a long ways. They will help make the truck feel likes it's washing around less in the corners.
Don't know what you're budget is, but even if it's limited, this sounds like it would be a fun long term project, that you could still drive while upgrading a bit at a time.

Reaction score
Drop shackles in the rear and decrank the front. But at the end of the day your full size 4x4 will never handle like your buddies el camino.

ok so drop shackles are the things that connect the leaf sprints to the frame right? do u have a link tot he ones i should order? decrank means the torsion keys right? i already lowered them all the way. it was pretty easy..

Reaction score
Good shocks will help, too. I like urethane body & suspension bushings. Not everyone likes them 'cause of the ride, & they're a bit of work to install. You've got tires with quite a bit of sidewall, so they'll absorb the harshness, but they are a definite hinder to the overall handling. Lower profile tires with at least an 'H' rating would go a long ways. They will help make the truck feel likes it's washing around less in the corners.
Don't know what you're budget is, but even if it's limited, this sounds like it would be a fun long term project, that you could still drive while upgrading a bit at a time.

yea i want to change all the bushings. any idea of where i can order or a part #?

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wouldn't he have to get the front end aligned when is messes with the keys? I take corners slow tires cost to much.