after watching many vids on how to set valve lash, I developed my own way,. easy peasy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texas tough

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
have used this method several times and it is spot on every time.
loosen all of your rocker arm bolts so they are very loose. turn crankshaft clockwise with breaker bar 1/4 turn and make sure they are all loose, turn it 1/4 turn again make sure all loose, do this 2 more times
when you are sure they are all loose, no matter what position the cam is in, start on one bank and go in order top to bottom then bank to bank ,, just do it in an order that you dont skip any.
tighten the first rocker arm bolt until you get zero lash in the pushrod. then go to the next one and do the same thing,, go all the way around and tighten every one to zero lash,,, once all are done, turn the crankshaft 90 degrees. then go around again, and do the same thing, turn the crankshaft 90 degrees again, and go around again tightening the loose rocker arms,., you do this 5 times.. by the 5th time, when you go around and check the valve lash on each valve, there should be no slop in any of the valves..
then take a ratchet and turn each one 3/4 of one turn.. your done,, the engine will fire up first crank and run great if everything else is good.
with this method you dont have to know which valve is in what position, or jump from bank to bank, trying to remember which ones to do.. its amazing how complicated some folks can make this to be. the method I developed makes it a 5 minute job and you you can move on,,

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It can be even more-simple than that.

Loosen all the valves, just like you say.

Tighen all the valves to "zero lash".

Turn the crankshaft exactly one revolution (not 90 degrees, plus 90 degrees, plus 90 degrees...)
SOME rockers will be loose. Tighten only those, to zero lash.

Tighten all the adjustments "your choice" of preload--1/4 turn, 1/2 turn, 3/4 turn, one full turn...whatever you've decided you want.

Put the valve covers on. Have a celebratory adult beverage.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
have used this method several times and it is spot on every time.
loosen all of your rocker arm bolts so they are very loose. turn crankshaft clockwise with breaker bar 1/4 turn and make sure they are all loose, turn it 1/4 turn again make sure all loose, do this 2 more times
when you are sure they are all loose, no matter what position the cam is in, start on one bank and go in order top to bottom then bank to bank ,, just do it in an order that you dont skip any.
tighten the first rocker arm bolt until you get zero lash in the pushrod. then go to the next one and do the same thing,, go all the way around and tighten every one to zero lash,,, once all are done, turn the crankshaft 90 degrees. then go around again, and do the same thing, turn the crankshaft 90 degrees again, and go around again tightening the loose rocker arms,., you do this 5 times.. by the 5th time, when you go around and check the valve lash on each valve, there should be no slop in any of the valves..
then take a ratchet and turn each one 3/4 of one turn.. your done,, the engine will fire up first crank and run great if everything else is good.
with this method you dont have to know which valve is in what position, or jump from bank to bank, trying to remember which ones to do.. its amazing how complicated some folks can make this to be. the method I developed makes it a 5 minute job and you you can move on,,
Get the engine up on 0 on the compression stroke #1 cyl,remove valve covers,loosen rockers on #1,tighten to 0 lash then set desired preload. Then do all the rest following the firing order. On a V8 motor the cylinders fire every 90deg. 120 deg. for 6cyl, 180 deg. for 4 cy.

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations and sincere appreciation, but this scheme goes all the way back to at least the beginning of the small-block Chevy, circa 1955. Perhaps quite a lot farther back.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far back as hydraulic lifters at least.