Correctly setting valve lash.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for stock stuff you can use these simplified method but anything not stock i use the exhaust opening, intake closing method

I used this method on my Poncho 455 because that's what my mentor taught me (fall 2023). As I worked, I came to the realization that the only thing the EOIC method did was (a) tell me which valves were definitely on the base circle, (b) provide an efficient method of advancing through the valves, one which only required two turns of the crankshaft to complete, and (c) allow each valve to be adjusted once. This method can be used for cam profiles independent of duration.

The method reiterated by @Schurkey takes advantage of the fact (under the conditions of cam duration mentioned by him previously) that at least half of the valves are on the base circle at any given time. "Which valves are on the base circle?" doesn't need to be known, although the answer is revealed when the 2nd round of adjustments is made; regardless of the answer, the task is complete. The first pass, each valve gets adjusted once, the second pass less than half get adjusted, thus averaging <1.5 adjustments / valve, and all is done with one turn of the crankshaft to complete.

Is this summary correct?

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first pass, each valve gets adjusted once, the second pass less than half get adjusted, thus averaging <1.5 adjustments / valve, and all is done with one turn of the crankshaft to complete.

Is this summary correct?

Yup. An advantage is that there's no keeping track of which valve's been adjusted, and which still need adjustment. If they're loose, they get adjusted.

Then it's a simple process to add preload to each one.

But drinking the adult beverage at the end is the most gratifying part.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. An advantage is that there's no keeping track of which valve's been adjusted, and which still need adjustment. If they're loose, they get adjusted.

Then it's a simple process to add preload to each one.

So each valve's touched again, for <2.5 adjustments per valve.

The EOIC method allows preload to be completed with the process, so still 1.0 adjustments / valve.

But drinking the adult beverage at the end is the most gratifying part.

Oh yeah.

Being as I was a novice, it took me some trial-and-error to get the EOIC method to work... I would watch the wrong valve, or I would overshoot the valve opening, etc. I probably spun my 455 six rotations just to get all 16 valves. But for an experienced guy I'm sure EOIC goes quickly.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for stock stuff you can use these simplified method but anything not stock i use the exhaust opening, intake closing method
The highest advertised duration cam that Summit shows for a SBC has 346 degrees of duration. Unless you have a custom cam that has more than 360 degrees of duration, it works.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The last one I did,I did it like this.I did head gaskets and its my daily driver.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I ended up using this method. Worked very nicely.

Thank you all for the input.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For added confusion, the cam/lifter/pushrod “kit” I put in my Harley, wanted me to count the flats on the nuts as I adjusted them.

I was taught the EOIC method in school many years ago, but that takes a bunch of time and a bunch of thinking (for me) but it also works.
S&S might be three flats and H-D ones might call for 4 depending on TPI and it changes if you're running Hydro-Solid type lifters or limited travel lifter inserts like Hl2t kit in a Shovel. lol

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used this method on my Poncho 455 because that's what my mentor taught me (fall 2023). As I worked, I came to the realization that the only thing the EOIC method did was (a) tell me which valves were definitely on the base circle, (b) provide an efficient method of advancing through the valves, one which only required two turns of the crankshaft to complete, and (c) allow each valve to be adjusted once. This method can be used for cam profiles independent of duration.

The method reiterated by @Schurkey takes advantage of the fact (under the conditions of cam duration mentioned by him previously) that at least half of the valves are on the base circle at any given time. "Which valves are on the base circle?" doesn't need to be known, although the answer is revealed when the 2nd round of adjustments is made; regardless of the answer, the task is complete. The first pass, each valve gets adjusted once, the second pass less than half get adjusted, thus averaging <1.5 adjustments / valve, and all is done with one turn of the crankshaft to complete.

Is this summary correct?
this method works for ANY 4 stroke combination engine which is why I like it. no special order or tricks, you can start on any cylinder and dont need to even look at the timing marks. a lot is being assumed with aftermarket camshafts being manufactured correctly. not sure how many degree a cam when they install them, but i've never seen a "perfect" cam. i do use the "quick" method that many have talked about here for SBCs, but I ALWAYS readjust the valves with engine running afterwards. this is just my experience, i'm not here to say it doesn't work or convince people not to use it. but it's burned me a few times so i found a method(s) that work better for me.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
but I ALWAYS readjust the valves with engine running afterwards.
Not possible all engines, Ie: shaft mounted adjustable rockers where the adjustment is made on the rocker arm. I done a few BB mopars with fast bleed lifters that were near impossible to find zero on where you're pretty much adjusting lifter pre-load to a specific number with a dial indicator on every single one.