E85 500 HP 383 with a L31 truck intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crazydavez28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that's a negative. No way full size injectors could fit. Even if they could, 150$ more you could have an actual mpfi intake that flows good.

Sent from my Samsung S20 using Tapatalk

I'm not saying they would fit easily but a man on a mission could make it happen. I have some stock L76 injectors laying around and I know the LS3 injectors I replaced them with are 1/4" shorter. A guy would need a custom fabbed tubular fuel rail but if you ream the material out the spider holes become injector bosses. And these small body units could be made to work without the plenum spacer.
You must be registered for see images attach

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
I'm not saying they would fit easily but a man on a mission could make it happen. I have some stock L76 injectors laying around and I know the LS3 injectors I replaced them with are 1/4" shorter. A guy would need a custom fabbed tubular fuel rail but if you ream the material out the spider holes become injector bosses. And these small body units could be made to work without the plenum spacer.
Ok. So my next question. Why? You can already get mpfi spider injectors up to 48lb at 3 bar. 56lb at 58psi

Sent from my Samsung S20 using Tapatalk

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You got to remember that I bought the superchips back in 2003. Lol

Blackbear, hptuners, and efilive I have heard of all them but which is a better fit for me and it all depends on who's doing the programming. gonna do some reading now. Wish some has some dynamic figures for our trucks with before and after one of them tunes.

This was before and after. Engine was not entirely stock but pretty close. Had a little tiny Comp 206/210 @ .050, .458 lift, 110 lsa roller cam, shorty headers and a ported lower manifold. When I reprogrammed for the 4L85E I swapped the stock spark map into it and left the stock trans tuning and torque management. Only the MAF and VE for the fueling was dialed in along with the PE fueling.

Before
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This was after playing with the timing, torque management, and shifting. 5,500 rpm upshifts at WOT and stock was about 5,000. I let out of it early in 2nd gear. 2-3 shift was around 90 mph.

Same engine setup with a 4" air intake I homebrewed and a Tahoe electric fan conversion.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Putting in some more work. Had some 2.05" intake valves hanging around. Had them swapped into the heads yesterday by a friend that works in a local machine shop. Drastically improved the low-mid lift intake flow numbers. Then we milled another 0.020 off them to cleanup a nast scratch I accidentally put in the face removing it off the dowl pins. We milled the manifold to match. We dropped them in the jet washer and they are as clean as new. Took the oil pan off and diced up the templete that was sent to me a while back to get a custom made Teflon crank scraper made. Sent the template out this afternoon. I swapped the heavy wide body rocker arms for lighter narrow body units and swapping back to center bolt valve covers. I pulled the balancer and timing cover, swapped and degreed the 218/228 cam back into it and swapped the reluctor wheel back to 4x. 400 weel hp out of this thing or bust. Spent the rest of my afternoon working on it. Mocked up some more of it this evening. Almost too pretty to hide back in the van. I know some of you are still asking why an old van. This thing is still in good shape for its age and is about like rolling around in your living room while sitting on your couch while riding in a limo at the same time. Forgot to mention opened up a couple of main caps and rod caps. Bearings look as good as new after a year. The cam bearings still look perfect. Its as cleans as the day it went together. Penzoil Platinum 10w30 seems to be equal if not better than Mobil One.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I am once again waiting on more stuff. Ordered a flexalite fan mounting bracket for a GMT400. Ordered 25 feet of both 5/8" and 3/4" HPS silicone heater hose. Ordered 2 new A/C Delco heater control valves. The 4 port one on the firewall for the front heater core and the 2 port one under the van for the rear are both the ones it rolled dpwn the assembly line with and are seeming pretty brittle. Ordered an Edelbrock 8881 aluminum water pump for a TBI era truck or car and matching March pulley. Ordered all the silicone hose specific clamps.

I spent my afternoon heavily porting the factory L31 intake manifold. Left it overnight in a bath of simple green and water to help break up the baked on oil and carbon still left on the intake floor. I have some before and after pictures of the ports I will try to post tomorrow. This one was just as bad as the others I have ported. While I was at it I opened the throttle body opening on the manifold up. Started out at 68mm and I was able to take it to 75mm to match the 75mm bored TB I have.

Last edited:

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
TX does a sniff test?!? Even NYS doesn't do that, and they are the strictest next to Commifornia. Only thing here is the check engine light can't be on, and has to pass a safety inspection.