E-fan conversion of the 1999 Yukon 5.7 Vortex with the 4160E transmission, SLT.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skychair

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes ...junk yards are full of em, GM product 8567 it has pin 30,86,,85,87 so i thought why not.
No lid.... it's on it's own, I don't think it will be a problem.
Thanks for looking

My VCM (PCM) is off to Black bear to get fan pin #9 turned on.
I've just about completed the install, had to make more cuts and changes than I thought I would.
While going thru the 'pick your part' junk yard I spied a upper fan shroud that looked like it might be the filler I needed to bridge the gap from the front brace to the '05' set of fans. It's on 88-99 GMC pickup trucks, I think.....
I also picked up a spare 99 upper fan shroud $7.00 each.
The relays are mounted on the spare battery tray.
You must be registered for see images attach

This is how the install finished off.

I swear it looks stock.........
I like the way it finished out.

The indicator light and on off switch are installed in the dash.

Itching to get my VCM back for the final test.
Thanks for looking, Ron

Last edited:

XJPhoenix

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice! Looks clean and professional. Do you have a picture of the upper shroud piece? Or am I looking right at it?

skychair

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice! Looks clean and professional. Do you have a picture of the upper shroud piece? Or am I looking right at it?

Had a few questions of how the 05 fans went in.....
First the replacement upper shroud.

The actual fitting of the 05 fan box (shroud) is cut as you go to get all worked out.
there was more fitting than I thought there would be.
Remove the lip on top of the fan shroud, but cut it in one piece, you'll use it latter.

This is where you'll use it, as a filler, and kinda sealer, it will be thru bolted when installed, I suggest using
self taping, easy in, easy out.

The bottom did not fit as I envisioned. I thought the padded inserts (3) on the bottom of the 05 fan box would set on the lip on the cross member.
They dont, but it does sit nicely in front of the lip, and is solid, you could self tap an aluminum angle bracket if you wanted to?

The top of the 05 fan box is now held solid by bolting the pickup shroud cut off piece to the front cross member, and being self taped to the fan box.

As an aside I was able to remove the sticker from my old fan shroud, and stick it to the new.
looks stock.....

Thanks for looking

skychair

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok got my VCM back to day plugged it up and took a ride fans never came on in normal driving or tooling around a parking lot.

Here's what it does,
When I hit the switch......... lights on, fans on.
when I turn on the A/C...... light/fan on/off with clutch recycle .
Normal hi way or city traffic no light/fans.
Coolant temp normally ranges from 189 to 202.
Back at home
Idle test
temp 199 fans off
temp 203 fans off
temp 205 fans off
temp 208 fans on
fan runs 30 sec temp drops to 205
fan runs 45 sec temp drops to 203
fan runs 50 sec temp drops to 199
light/fan off
I did notice a few times at hi way speed the light was on dimly, I attribute this to fan rotation providing power back to the light.
Does anyone see any real problem that needs correction, only thing I can think of is a 185 degree thermostat, don't know if thats necessary or not.
Ambenient temp was 65 degrees
Any advice appreciated.
Ron

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My low speed fans have only come on once when I was idling for a long period in traffic. Otherwise it's just the high side that kicks on when the a/c is running.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

skychair

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My low speed fans have only come on once when I was idling for a long period in traffic. Otherwise it's just the high side that kicks on when the a/c is running.

It's been 2-4 weeks since I installed my E-fans, and all appears to work correctly, except
When A/C is on, the fans dont cut off at speeds above 35mph...I thought they would.
Is there something else I need to do?
This is a 99 Yukon.
Ron

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's been 2-4 weeks since I installed my E-fans, and all appears to work correctly, except
When A/C is on, the fans dont cut off at speeds above 35mph...I thought they would.
Is there something else I need to do?
This is a 99 Yukon.
Ron
As long as my a/c is on my fans are on, doesn't matter how fast I'm driving.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
As long as my a/c is on my fans are on, doesn't matter how fast I'm driving.

How are yours wired? I assume mine turns off over 35 with AC on, but I don't have an LED indicator to tell me either way. OP did you specify fan on/off temps? Because you can make them whatever you want them to be. I know for AC my fan runs based on pressure and not whether the compressor is running or not.

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How are yours wired? I assume mine turns off over 35 with AC on, but I don't have an LED indicator to tell me either way. OP did you specify fan on/off temps? Because you can make them whatever you want them to be. I know for AC my fan runs based on pressure and not whether the compressor is running or not.
High side input is triggered by the compressor wire. I can hear them running while driving. It might be different if my computer was controlling both high and low speed inputs, but since my stock black box only has one fan output here we are.

skychair

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do both your fans run at hi speed when triggered by the clutch?
I only get the drivers side fan when clutch kicks in, I assume that if the low side pin 9 kicks in (high temp) that both fans will run in high. Is that correct???
Also noted another puzzling thing.... If the A/C is on, but the blowers are off, no E-fans, until I turn the blower fans on????
Ron