E-fan conversion of the 1999 Yukon 5.7 Vortex with the 4160E transmission, SLT.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skychair

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is the little bit I know....so far
The 99 and older Yukon/Tahoe/suburban's have a VCM (Vehicle Control Module).
4 connectors serve this module, C1 Blue, C2 Red, C3 Clear, these 3 connectors have 32 pins.
C4 black has 24 pins...Pin # 9 is for an aux fan, wire color Dk-Blu. (1998-2000 only)
This pin (# 9) must be turned on to have a near factory GMC E-fan set up as possible.
I never remember seeing this info, it was always PCM pin 42/33, I know it's out there, I just never found it.
Reason being perhaps, it only applies to 3 years...

I had been wanting to do this conversion for a while, and thought I was limited to an after market product $500, or more.
Luckily I came across this Thread https://www.gmfullsize.com/threads/i-installed-2006-e-fans-on-my-2001.229730/ and I started to re-think the conversion.
Also on this Forum I had conversations with Kenny the welder, and CokeMan95 who had done similar conversions.
They helped a lot with my questions, appreciate it Guys.

The $500 E-fan conversion began to fade from memory, replaced by the 'Pull Your Part' Junk yard is your best friend.

It took 2 trips to the junk yard, but I think I made a pretty good haul.

05 Tahoe fan $36.58
Complete fan harness $19.99
2 fan relays with cut wiring $11.00
A VCM $19.95 To keep the Yukon running while I send the good one off to be programed to turn on on pin # 9.
( I have a BlackBear tune, but Justin didn't turn on the fan).
Good condition TRUCK box $6.00
The Mount for the harness relay no charge.
Misc relays/fuses/clamps and a cargo switch $3.00
Picked up some terminal wiring pieces from Amazon $36.00

My total cost so far for just the parts for the conversion is $95.57 including Amazon, but not counting core charges, admittance fee, taxes.
This is a far cry from $500.
Now to clean every thing up, start bench testing , and figure out what goes where.
You must be registered for see images attach

skychair

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is the little bit I know....so far
The 99 and older Yukon/Tahoe/suburban's have a VCM (Vehicle Control Module).
4 connectors serve this module, C1 Blue, C2 Red, C3 Clear, these 3 connectors have 32 pins.
C4 black has 24 pins...Pin # 9 is for an aux fan, wire color Dk-Blu. (1998-2000 only)
This pin (# 9) must be turned on to have a near factory GMC E-fan set up as possible.
I never remember seeing this info, it was always PCM pin 42/33, I know it's out there, I just never found it.
Reason being perhaps, it only applies to 3 years...

I had been wanting to do this conversion for a while, and thought I was limited to an after market product $500, or more.
Luckily I came across this Thread https://www.gmfullsize.com/threads/i-installed-2006-e-fans-on-my-2001.229730/ and I started to re-think the conversion.
Also on this Forum I had conversations with Kenny the welder, and CokeMan95 who had done similar conversions.
They helped a lot with my questions, appreciate it Guys.

The $500 E-fan conversion began to fade from memory, replaced by the 'Pull Your Part' Junk yard is your best friend.

It took 2 trips to the junk yard, but I think I made a pretty good haul.

05 Tahoe fan $36.58
Complete fan harness $19.99
2 fan relays with cut wiring $11.00
A VCM $19.95 To keep the Yukon running while I send the good one off to be programed to turn on on pin # 9.
( I have a BlackBear tune, but Justin didn't turn on the fan).
Good condition TRUCK box $6.00
The Mount for the harness relay no charge.
Misc relays/fuses/clamps and a cargo switch $3.00
Picked up some terminal wiring pieces from Amazon $36.00

My total cost so far for just the parts for the conversion is $95.57 including Amazon, but not counting core charges, admittance fee, taxes.
This is a far cry from $500.
Now to clean every thing up, start bench testing , and figure out what goes where.
To clean the fans, and any plastic parts I just spray with WD40, and use an old paint brush to remove sand/dirt.
When finished the parts look new.

I hooked up the harness for bench testing, this is what I got.
Dk-Bu to Negative battery post turns on the driver side fan on low (this will be pin # 9)
Dk-Gn to Negative battery post turns on both driver/Passenger side on low (green spliced clutch cycle)
Dk-Bu and Dk-Gn to Negative battery post turns on both driver/Passenger side on hi
Fans are quite.

Wired up a test relay for Hi speed check with Dk-Gn touched to positive, both fans on at hi speed.
I don't know if this what their supposed to do, but looks good to me.

I cut off the unwanted portion of what I call the relay mount, and finished it off, looks good.

Last edited:

skychair

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
To clean the fans, and any plastic parts I just spray with WD40, and use an old paint brush to remove sand/dirt.
When finished the parts look new.

I hooked up the harness for bench testing, this is what I got.
Dk-Bu to Negative battery post turns on the driver side fan on low (this will be pin # 9)
Dk-Gn to Negative battery post turns on both driver/Passenger side on low (green spliced clutch cycle)
Dk-Bu and Dk-Gn to Negative battery post turns on both driver/Passenger side on hi
Fans are quite.

Wired up a test relay for Hi speed check with Dk-Gn touched to positive, both fans on at hi speed.
I don't know if this what their supposed to do, but looks good to me.

I cut off the unwanted portion of what I call the relay mount, and finished it off, looks good.

There is no spare room behind the under hood fuse box to mount anything on the 99 Yukon, so
I'll use that spare battery tray on the drivers side to mount my newly modified relay mount/bracket.
I orientated it so the wiring was going toward the firewall, attached it with self taping screws

This support bracket bolt will ground everything.

Finished and fitted harness, included the dash 'fans on' indicator, as well as the on off switch.

In a couple of days I'll be sending my VCM back to Black Bear to get the # 9 pin turned on.
Hoping for a quick turn around........
Ron

JayMB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did that little relay/fuse box come from an '05 Tahoe too? And does it have a lid to keep water out of it?

ryeguy2006a

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great progress so far. I just picked up a set of these fans too and I'll be very curious how you attach the fans to the radiator. I'll be doing the same thing over the next few months.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The factory gmt800 fans work amazingly! I need to find a replacement fan motor for one of mine however.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

ryeguy2006a

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That looks great! Do you have any pictures of how you attached it to the bottom of the radiator?

skychair

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did that little relay/fuse box come from an '05 Tahoe too? And does it have a lid to keep water out of it?

Yes ...junk yards are full of em, GM product 8567 it has pin 30,86,,85,87 so i thought why not.
No lid.... it's on it's own, I don't think it will be a problem.
Thanks for looking