Dual purpose crap hauler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

891Ton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well none of those... I said Rock Crawling. RCrocs and ECORS is rock and trail racing. Theres quite a difference.

Also, a lot of spliting a HREW seam has to do with design and wall thickness for the application. When bending HREW, you need to have the seam on the inside of the bend. Therefore the seam will be on the back side of any impact and its pretty hard to split one. I just see too often people saying that they have to do everything out of DOM for strength when if you do a fair amount of reading on this subject you will find that just because the processes for manufacturing the tubes are different doesn't actually make the DOM stronger. But im not trying to argue, Everyone has their personal preference.

I also run a rock crawling event in CT, and a lot of the "rig requirements" are based on liability. There are some things that may not be completely necessary but get put in anyway to cover the ass of the person running it. Our waivers only go so far.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I'm really liking the slider design. Keep up the great work.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the TRE flipped, drilled out the knuckles to 7/8 and used a set of JK 1ton TRE conversion bushings.

You must be registered for see images attach

The XJ pitman arm reamed for the 1 ton TRE

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To make the sway bar work, I flipped the sway bar upside down, and used rubicon express disconnects for a TJ. I drilled out the links to 9/16, with some clearancing to sit flush as well as keyway off the sway bar. Bolted up no problem. Then I had some old poly sway bar links from a previous project that I never used. They look like they don't fit in the pic, but the fit the nuts, I just need to tighten them up. I had to do a little clearancing and re-drilling, but they came out pretty clean.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got everything back into the truck and got it sitting on the suspension. This is at ride height. Then I stuck a tire into the wheel well and this is pretty much what it will look like. It sits about an inch taller in the front so I might toss some 3/4" zero rates in the rear to level it.

I finally started in on the shocks. I used some 3/4x3/4 stock to make a fake shock for mock up because those bilsteins are heavy. The shocks are 16" compressed and 26" fully extended, I set them at 20" at ride height.

Initially I tried to get the shock in front of the axle. But it would have been very tight between the sway bar links, steering, and the shock itself.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I love making templates!

For the shock uppers

What they ended up looking like

Tacked in

This is where I am going to mount reservoir

I made all of my templates for the lower shock mounts and for the sway bar mounts, but it was cold last night and I needed to get home anyways. I have most of the templates laid out and traced, I will head over on Thursday or Friday to cut them all out, cleaned up and tacked in. Once those are in, last time to pull it all apart, finish weld everything, rust treatment, paint then back together. I'll update then.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the TRE flipped, drilled out the knuckles to 7/8 and used a set of JK 1ton TRE conversion bushings.

How hard was the knuckle to drill out, did you use a hand drill or press? One thing I still have to do on my axle but have been putting it off big time.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
7/8 drill bit in a hand drill. I have a HD milwaukee drill that has a variable speed trigger, I drill it slowly with plenty of cutting oil. Each knuckle took less then a minute. Just don't push the drill through, let the drill bit do the work or you'll risk burning the bit up (and they aren't cheap.) Reaming though, I had to use a bridgeport. I had the specs on the TRE shank with .68 min. and .772 max. diameters. I drilled out the pitman arm to 5/8 first, then reamed it, again, slow with plenty of cutting oil. I marked the rear at about 3/4 of an inch and then went a C hair past that.

2000CCSB

CrewCab Stalker
Reaction score
finally I found a thread with another JEEP guy doing an SAS with 4 link and coils. been looking for a thread like this on here for a while.
did you stick with the 44? could tell by your pics on my phone. anyways love the progress so far I will be keeping a close eye on this thread. I Love my JEEP also. thats why I bought my crew cab to pull my XJ from one park to the next.