Dual purpose crap hauler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It could if I wanted to... just won't stop under it's own power. I pulled the rear drums to replace the wheel cylinders last week and the drums are junk and pretty much everything inside one drums was junk. one side had a blown hub seal so the bearings were burnt up and all the brake components were covered in god knows how old grease. My best guess, the last time these axles saw road use was probably mid 90's. I know the person I got them from had them sitting in his garage for over a decade. I am also trying to figure out ebrake cables. I picked up a Cab and Chassis cable to see if it can work.

Reality is, I started balancing several projects and this got put a little on the back burner, for the past two months I really only got to work on it 3-4 hours a week at most.
I've been outfitting our suburban with a surco 80x50 roof rack, rear air bags, brake controller. Also been getting the popup camper ready for 2 weeks of family camping. Lastly I'm building a front 14 bolt steering axle for a rear engine buggy for a friend.

Cliff notes, fronts done, rear is 99% done, brakes need bleeding and drive the **** off it. no time too many projects and anticipating much needed vacation.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I realized I never updated this thread.. Been driving the truck the past couple months here and there.

I ended up having to swap out the master cylinder for one from a 98 GM K3500 and brakes work awesome. I also need to shim the rear axle a couple degrees to really dial the pinion angle in. I ordered them from WFO and they came in, but I have been super lazy and have yet to do it.

Still driving with a driveway alignment, tracks straight on the highway, but I am getting a silly large amount of free play in the steering, which was an issue before, but was I hoping it was due to junk ball joints, TRE's and control arm bushings... NOPE steering box. I put a little more pre-load on the sector shaft and it helped a little. Reality is that after 200K plus miles, just going to replace when I get some cash.

Also need to find a different sway bar, I re-used the stock one and while I have it working, it is not optimal. the sway bar is almost 45 degrees to the ground. I am going to try to cut and mill this one to work, but if not, I will head to the junkyard and see what works.

Only pic I have on my PC
You must be registered for see images attach

benz88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
change the steering shaft to an XJ one if you havent already before swaping to a new box. Truck looks great

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I may have missed it, but what kind of coil springs did you use?