Dual purpose crap hauler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I am starting a thread for the building of my truck. I've owned this truck for a long time, now at 200K miles I am going to give the truck what it deserves. The truck is in overall great shape considering the milage and that I live in the north east where most of these trucks rot away. Door bottoms are rusted, rear bumper.

You must be registered for see images attach

Love this sticker

Since owning the truck, other than basic maintanance which gets done religiously, I've added three gauge pod with tranny temp, cylinder head temp and a A/F gauge, will be replaced with boost eventually.
I bought the cap couple years back off craigslist for $100, for that price, screw painting it. Another friend gave me the roof racks in trade for some shocks I didn't need.

So to the build, stage one is gonna be SAS with 78-79 F250 axles, D44 and D60. I am still keeping an eye out for a D60 front in my price range.. but no rush. The rear will be ORD shackle flip with 3/4 ton springs, front will be radius arms with trac bar using 6" Clayton ZJ springs. Most of the parts are at the shop, I snapped some picks of what I have now.

$200 for 5 chrome H2 rims

Bought a set of H2 BFG AT take offs, 2 tires are 70% 2 are about 40%, paid $150 locally. Once I get the swap done and see where it sits, I might run some 37 goodyear's H1 takeoffs from pirate on 16.5" turbine rims or just buy some 315-75r17 guard-dog retreads and keep the H2 rims.

Paid $150 for brand new remote res bilsteins from a friend

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To add, the dual purpose will be a Daily Driver and Tow rig as well as a expedition wheeler for beach trips and easy trails. I have a YJ on 40" tires for the hard stuff. I will post more in a bit.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks! as I mentioned, the doors are getting pretty bad, now Body work will be part of Stage 2 of the project. a couple months ago on my local offroad club board, a friend posted up a pair of GM doors in the box from GM (not re-pops) with out a asking price. I called him up and I low balled him at $200 for the pair of doors, He said pick them up and they were mine for $180... I **** bricks, packed up and drove the 2 hours out to western MA and got them, while there, he also gave me the hinges, also from GM.

In my shed for storage

Hinges

The story goes that these were in a storage unit that he bought for under $100 so he made out like a bandit and so did I.

I should be at the shop finishing up my axles this week, I'll snap some pics, I am completely rebuilding the axles, rear just needs to have the perches cut off and good to go. the front I just need to press in new ball joints and then reassemble. Only parts I am waiting on are the rotors. Unfortunately the spot where I will be working on it is currently occupied by a friends LJ that we put 1 tons and 42" rockers on.

If you look in the lower right corner, you can see part of the axles.

If you guys are interested, I can post some pics of some of the projects we've built (mostly jeeps.) A friend has a green house business and half of one of his warehouses was unused so we started an informal build shop call iFab. unfortunately we can only fit a coupld long term projects in there since he does keep his trailer and TJ in there as well.

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sounds like a fun project! i'd like to see the jeep projects too, always into mud toys or crawler rigs.... really anything with 4 wheels and an engine...

bumper sticker is awesome btw!