Dual purpose crap hauler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The updates look great! I'm interested in seeing where you plan on mounting your shocks.

Me Too!

I am thinking of putting the upper mount off the top of the coil bucket towards the rear and the lower will be on the inside side of the radius arm mount. I really won't know until I get the track bar in, truck on it's weight and the ride height set. I got such a stupid good deal on the shocks that I am limited by what they are rather than build where it is ideal then spec the shock length to what I need.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No real huge updates, Work has had me up in Northern Maine for the past two weeks, so this project got put on a side for a short time.

I was able to get the track bar figured out and the entire front end is finished welded. I still need to figure out the shock mounts and the sway bar mounts which will probably be the last thing I tackle. There is no heat in the shop so I will have to wait for a day over 45 degrees to get everything painted. I honestly didn't take pictures of the finish welding, kinda boring to look at, but snapped this.
You must be registered for see images attach

Also I made some head way on the sway bar links. axle mounts still need to be figured out, but these are what I am using (they are upside down in the photo)

These are rubicon express sway bar quick disconnect links for a TJ/LJ with a 4-6" lift. these are off a LJ (I think the pic is in the first page or two here) that we put a set 1 tons in. the red part with the bolt will attach to the sway bar and then I will have to fab up a lower mount at the axle. In my mind I am picturing a shared mount with the shock and the sway bar, but I can make that determination once this is on the ground and at ride height.

First modification I will have to make is, the bolt hole in the TJ sway bar is 1/2", the GMC is I think 9/16. this mount has enough meat on it that I can easily mill it out to accomidate the GMC sway bar. Additionally, the link itself is adjustable to a point, if I can't get it dialed in using the adjustment, I will simply cut adn either shorten or lengthed depending on what I need.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Anything new with this lately?

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup, been working on it here and there, the shop is not heated and it was -20 below for two weeks straight so desire to work was low. I have some pics and will post them later but I got the front end all welded up, got the track bar mounts all done. I ended up adding some bracing to the frame end track bar mount. I was using a inside the frame rail design, which left very little support to the back of the mount and under a hard compression, I was concerned that the force would bend the mount (1/4 plate, but still.)

It was in the high 50's here yesterday so I took that opportunity to get some paint on the links and stuff. Just need to clean the axle up and the frame cleaned up then get some paint on them and the front goes together for the last time.

Only thing left to fab up is the steering. I just need to re-ream the knuckles and pitman arm and then fab up the tie rod and drag link.

Then it will be all the little nickle and dime crap that will get to me.

I am also putting in a new tranny cooler, adding a Aux 19 gal. fuel cell to piggy back to the factory tank. I am about 85% done withthe rock sliders and some other stuff. I'll update with photos once I get them loaded.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Forgot to post these

I have the stock trans cooler up in the factory radiator, I also have a small rail cooler up in front of the grill. my truck is used to tow pretty much at the limit of the vehicles capacity. On hot days up in NH towing my jeep and camping gear, the trans temps will go up to 220F or higher. ATF will start to break down at or around 225F so I figured I would add this cooler just prior to the radiator, probably put it where the second battery would go. Then i am going to use the rail cooler for the power steering. The front suspension is my priority for now, so this will probably go in after that is done. But I had a Summit gift certificate so I used it. I do not plan on using a thermostat for this, I will just put it on a switch through the ignition for now.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some pictures of my updates.

Anything that was removable from the truck got a coat of primer and paint. I am a huge fan of the rustoleum hammered finish, I've used it on several projects including a couple axle swaps and I find it to be a very durable paint.

I also got the track bar all done and beefed up the frame end mount for the track bar. I ended up putting a 18 degree bend in it to better clear the diff which nets me about 3.5" more of up travel.

I am waiting for my rust encapsulator from eastwood company to get here then the frame will get some paint.

While I was waiting for the paint to dry, I got back to working on the rock rails. finished welding them up and then I made templates of steps that I will weld into the rails for better footing. The plates will be 16 ga and the circles will be dimple died, 1.25" in the center row and the two outside rows are off set and .75"

Pics..

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
95"

it's only HREW, they will probably never see any contact with an actual rock. more or less to help my wife and kids get in the truck.

891Ton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with HREW. I build almost everything out if it. And it is nearly just as strong as DOM. Every rock crawling event I go to allows HREW in their cage requirements.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure what competition your farlimiar with or referring to, but I don't believe either RCrocs or ECORS have a specific requirement yet Ultra4 on the other hand specifically excludes HREW from from the main roll cage construction, RCrocs rules do mimic Ultra4 so I am thinking a HREW cage would not pass tech.

My personaly experience, my rad hoop was HREW and I rolled hard on it and it split right on the welded seam so I prefer no to use HREW when it is my or my familys safety that is in question.