Dual batteries

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I run a 1000 cca marine deep cycle battery in my '74 GMC, and with 20w50 oil, it cranks right up in -15F. Unless you have a diesel, I'd just run one good battery.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I run a 1000 cca marine deep cycle battery in my '74 GMC, and with 20w50 oil, it cranks right up in -15F. Unless you have a diesel, I'd just run one good battery.

For a daily, yes I agree to not try to over-engineer it but on an electric-over-hydraulic snow plow setup, two batteries with two alternators is the bees knees so to say! plenty of reserve power and never slowing down when doing short back and forths angling often. And not straining a single battery/alternator to the point of premature failure.

Mr Eric

Reaction score
I have two 97 'burb k1500 5.7 that I have setup as kind of a commercial overland. (Think work van in a 'burb, its low key )
I run a dual battery setup. Isolated in between the batteries, with a 200amp alternator.

The second battery is setup for a running my 12volt accessories, such as my fridge and an inverter for 120 needs.

Wire is 1-O and 2-O wire (I know it's overkill, but it's what I had, my last build had 4-O)

I carry an extra long set of jumper cables (really is welding lead) so if I need to use my accessory battery to jump the starter battery I could do so.
I could setup a solenoid to allow cross starting, and I have done so in the past, though now my thinking is divorced as I can have with a single mounted alternator.

Al92toyo

Reaction score
I replaced the starter, added another battery, and converted to top posts using ACDelco PG34 batteries. I used 1/0 cable, hand crimped all terminals, and added shrink wrap to protect the exposed wires at the crimps.

It starts at least 10x faster, and it worked just as well when the temp dipped here in the high rockies!

Sorry for not having better pictures, I took these pictures over a year ago and my truck is 1200 miles away with my family in Texas.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
@Trenton where did you get the secondary battery tray? Been going crazy trying to find one.

Trenton

Just a Texan transplanted in the Rockies
Reaction score
@Trenton where did you get the secondary battery tray? Been going crazy trying to find one.

I actually found one in a junkyard one day! I went to the local pick-n-pull for seats or something, and found one in a late 90's suburban. It was like 2 bolts to remove and uses the same bolt size and hold down block as the stock battery.

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Always just run 0 gauge battery cable and extra ground from body to engine with a good single battery unless i have a winch then i just run a hot cable from one battery to other, ground them both to block and run a 4ga from alternator to the one battery as always

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just a reminder. I was asking about factory dual battery setups. I was not asking for opinions of why they’re unnecessary.
My 2 cents, add a 200a isolator between the two batteries. That way if leave radio on, door open, or any other reason to drain a battery, it will only drain one battery and second will still be good to start your truck! When engine is running the alternator will charge and use both batteries, it's only when engine is off that it only uses one battery, cheap safety measure! I use similar setup in stereo applications Sonu can sit around fire with radio going for hours and still know your truck will start even after waaay too many beers out in the woods lol.