Drunkcanuks build...... finally!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No more winter riding, unless they do not salt in your Province?
This truck hasn't seen winter since to one of 2002/2003. Blew the transmission all over the Yellowhead highway west of Edmonton in the spring. Bought a new truck and this one has been garaged ever since. Took about 8yrs to finally get a new tranny. I have 2 4x4 Dodge's for winter. This is my baby and toy. No need for her to ever see the winter again.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
this is how I started the morning.
and this is how she sits now!!!
Obviously still have the rear flip to do, but I'm tired and want to have a nap!!!!
So maybe after nap I'll get started.
I turned it around so the back end is now at the overhead door.
All in all, a pretty drama free day.

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well.......$hit just got real today ladies and gentlemen!!!
Sold my Harley yesterday, to finance this endeavor. And drove 2hrs each way today to get some parts. Then once I got back into town, spent over an hour at the tire shop with a kid younger than my truck to pick out wheels and tires. Man...that was a thing!!!
Been waiting to do this since 95 when I got it, and since the first time I saw one in a magazine in 88. So a long time coming!!!
So quick and dirty parts......so far.
Belltech 4/6 drop with street performer shocks.
Cowl hood
Metal rollpan
And tailgate handle relocater.
XD Rockstar 2 wheels (don't hate me for "brodozer" style wheels...it will make sense eventually)
Toyo proxi 3 tires.
Went with 17x8's and 235/50/17's.
Still have to source some mirrors, passenger door and probably fender.
Gonna need a new grill shell as well.
Stopped by woman's work today, a salvage yard, talked to parts lady and they will keep an eye out for a 6.0, 4L80e for me. It's tough when everything is 4x4 up here!!!
So it's going to be a thrash weekend coming up, thankfully 3 days, because the kid at the tire shop wouldn't take my $$$ until he's sure they fit nice.
And the wheels should be here sometime next week hopefully.
So ya......here we go!!!! Well, friday when I get home. Can't wait....I can assure you there will be a few tears of joy when it comes off the jackstands!!!!
Looking forward to seeing it come together!

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
this damn thing.....your not going to beat me!!!
Can't get a good swing ith a hammer, or the BFH.
I will NOT be beat.....nope, not today!!!
undo all 8 bed bolts, leave the rear 2 in but loose, cuz safety right?!?!
Go to find a 2x4 long enough to jack with, nope...none to be found. I will NOT be beat!!!

So I use the certified board stretcher, yes son....it's a real thing!!! I'm a carpenter/scaffolder by the way....this is totally legit!!!

So, now I have clearance to swing the BFH at that dang hanger bolt, easy peasy right!
WRONG......oh soooooooo damn wrong!!!!
I couldn't get that sucker to budge a millimeter (Canadian eh).
I tried for an hour to get it to move, can turn the bolt, but she (has to be a she right boys!!!) won't go through.
OFFICIALLY BEAT!!!!!
truck 1-me 0

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
this damn thing.....your not going to beat me!!!
Can't get a good swing ith a hammer, or the BFH.
I will NOT be beat.....nope, not today!!!
undo all 8 bed bolts, leave the rear 2 in but loose, cuz safety right?!?!
Go to find a 2x4 long enough to jack with, nope...none to be found. I will NOT be beat!!!

So I use the certified board stretcher, yes son....it's a real thing!!! I'm a carpenter/scaffolder by the way....this is totally legit!!!

So, now I have clearance to swing the BFH at that dang hanger bolt, easy peasy right!
WRONG......oh soooooooo damn wrong!!!!
I couldn't get that sucker to budge a millimeter (Canadian eh).
I tried for an hour to get it to move, can turn the bolt, but she (has to be a she right boys!!!) won't go through.
OFFICIALLY BEAT!!!!!
truck 1-me 0
They think cause they're bigger than us, and have computers for brains, that they are smarter than us. This is when we have to be crafty and sneaky....
Good luck!

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I figured, I'll get the shocks hanging, because that's a no brain win right????
Well never mind I somehow skipped a step in the instructions and headed right for the hanger. I needed a win for my confidence.
So ya.... shocks, easy right..... WRONG!!!!!
this is what I had to come up with to get that lower bolt out.....oh ya....we had some words. About an hour later, shocks out.
Went to do passenger side....that bolt damn near jumped out of there!!!!!
I think it saw what I did too it's twin!!!
So 1/2 a win on the shocks.

So now what....still have to get the leafs hanging so I can notch the frame without twisting it up like a pretzel ( cross thread points???)
So on to the shackle bolt kids.....what could go wrong....just a bolt right????
after fighting with the BFH for 2 min(I got smart now ya see) I stop.....light a smoke and hit YouTube.
Came across this magical fix.
It looks worse in the picture....I cleaned it up with a flapper wheel.... relax.
Cut the head off the bolt.
and then stacked a bunch of washers on there.
And proceeded to use a breaker bar and sit on my butt, wedged up against the garage door for 45min turning the damn bolt out!!!!

Then she magically came out, spring is finally loose(one end anyway)
So then I packed everything up and am done for the day!!!! I have to go back to work for the week.

So plan is this. And PLEASE tell me if I'm going at this wrong!!!
Do the same to the other shackle.
Support the rear of the frame.
Cut and install the notch.
Have some help and carefully coerce the axle to the side, lug it over one leaf, then do it again.
Because there is no way that front hanger bolt is coming out without burning the truck down!!!

Any and all suggestions welcome!!!!

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So plan is this. And PLEASE tell me if I'm going at this wrong!!!
Do the same to the other shackle.
Support the rear of the frame.
Cut and install the notch.
Have some help and carefully coerce the axle to the side, lug it over one leaf, then do it again.
Because there is no way that front hanger bolt is coming out without burning the truck down!!!
Gettin right after it!!

I don’t have experience with a notch but what I would do is put Jack stands behind the cab and at the rear of the frame. I would Cut and finish one side at a time.

Also, try to get your center line (for the notch) marked before you pull the axle out. I’m sure a plumb Bob would work.

If you can get the springs down past the rear shackle hanger, I’d roll the axle out the back, drop the springs then roll it back in instead of trying to fight it up and over the leaf packs by yourself.