Drive shaft pushed INTO transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

214martin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so idk if this is a lowered question or transmission question but upon lowering my truck 90 gmc c1500 rcsb 4.3L tbi. My drive shaft is PUSHED into the transmission and when i put it into drive it goes, CLANK like if it goes into gear really hard. This transmission was just put in yesterday as mine went out last week. Anybody know whats up with that?

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thats what i meant,if the slip yoke is pushed to tight into the trans that can make it bind up did you install the same type of trans?

214martin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
according to the guy who did it yea its a 700r4 dip stick is like the newer model trans though. is there a way to check exactly what my trans came out of?

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if its the same trans and your old one didnt clank, I would really look into the ujoints even with no play in the truck if you remove shaft from the truck and check them they may be a little sloppy.could be pinion play to in the rear end also

214martin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The thing is the mechanic told me he had alot of trouble putting the shaft in. Its completly pushed into the trans and he said it might bust the seal. What should i be looking for? I can post pics if needed

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
it shouldnt be completely in the trans, can you see under your truck at all? put it in park and push it while looking at the diff if the pinion moves downard itll shove the driveshaft in on these truck if it shoots upwads it will pull it out.