Drive shaft pushed INTO transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

214martin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i took it to a tranny shop this morning real quick and yea the rear u joint is completely busted, and because of the drop its at a high angle he said that might be the issue but he couldn't tell me more as he would need more time and i had to come to work. what u joints are good i want to replace it to see if it helps.

214martin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
a pinion shim should also help straiten things out huh, i just thought of that right now the joints angled so adjusting that would help avoid future problems right?

214martin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the orilleys stuff or auto zone is no good? because i need this done asap, and the moog ones i have to order online

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
What drop did you do? 2/4, 3/5, 4/6, 4/7, 5/7, 5/8?
The spring hangers on a 2/4 mess with the pinion angle. If it wasn't corrected via pinion wedges, that'll eat up U-joints right quick.
My trucks, one with a 2/4 the other 4/6, then made 4/7, never had probs with the driveshaft bottoming out in the trans.
That WAS a concern on the 4/7, so we checked, double checked, then checked again. Said screw it. Put it together, & drove the snot outa it for 2 years. No probs!
One thing no-one has mentioned that has crossed my mind.
If the 'mechanic' didn't tighten the bolts on the TC properly, did he get the bolts holding the trans to engine tight? ALL of them? Are the line-up pins between the 2 seated?
Is the torque convertor even seated on the keyway to the trans?
All or any of that would push the transmission back enough to create the prob with the driveshaft. The driveshaft does have to have some movement back & forth, but on a lowered 2 whl.dr., it isn't all that much. It will sit farther into the tailshaft, sure, but there should still be enough room for it to slide back & forth. It'll just be in a different position farther up the yoke. Even still, there shouldn't be a problem with it bottoming out inside the tailshaft.
Did he have a tough time getting the transmission mount to line up with the trans too? That'd be one indication things aren't quite right.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i never thought of that al, good call. if s not lined up right or bolted properly it could create some very big issues. broken u joint could certainly cause abig thud when the trans is loading and the truck is moving.

214martin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it has a 0/8 drop as soon as i was going to drop the front the tranny problems happened. it has hangers and flip kit. god i wish he could see all this because i know somethings not right but i have no clue so i can tell him because ill just sound like an idiot. he's the "mechanic" so i just go with what he says but thats why i come here for a second thought since i don't know much. ill ask him all those things today.