Drilled/slotted or smooth rotors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you already have them, run them. Just check for cracks whenever you have a wheel off. When you replace pads, do a thorough inspection.
Yeah I've got parts. Wheel cylinders, calipers, pads,shoes, drums, rotors, parts packs, master cylinder, and non anti lock proportioning valve. Already have new s.s. lines installed. Doing an anti lock delete. If I'd have studied here it would have been hydroboost and vented disks. Garage is nonexistent so outside work and calling for snow again tomorrow. I'll get it done soon.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drilled 'n' slotted, drilled, or slotted rotors are still vented.

NOBODY makes solid, non-vented rotors for these trucks.
I thought that too, but these EBC’s sure “look” like they’re non-vented. Solid non-vented are typically made for rear.
You must be registered for see images attach

Edit: Just dug into details on these. It does say they are vented.

Last edited:

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Every drilled and slotted rotor I ever saw developed cracks around the holes. Unless it’s a real race car I don’t see any benefits when people put race pads and rotors on there. Most real race brakes are designed for high heat high speed stoppage. Anything else is just for looks. I wouldnt waste the money. Brakes cool from the center out. Unless you’re driving a race truck I doubt you’ll have enough benefit from slotted drilled rotors and performance brakes. Save your money. Get a good set of regular rotors and brand name pads

Last edited:

thebigcar

Reaction score
That's what I'm figuring, but I imagine they have a use, otherwise they wouldn't exist - right?

YES - there is a reason for them existing, that is for RACING applications. I tried to explain this to my dad who still shelled out big bucks for powerstop slotted / drilled rotors thinking they would be COOLER when he tows his trailer.

The holes and slots are NOT for heat dissipation but to get rid of DUST during high speed, heavy breaking (like going from 150mph to 60mph when entering a turn) for race cars who use specially formulated high temp brake pads... the added benefit for racers is the holes decrease the weight of the rotors and thus, the unsprung weight of the suspension.

What does that mean for us who drive heavy vehicles and tow? TERRIBLE lifespan and TERRIBLE performance and slotted rotors will constantly eat away at your pads! For us the people who design semi trucks know best: you want MORE MASS for your brake drums and rotors. The larger mass dissipates heat better and resists surface deformation. What you want is a very heavy, factory equiv or better disc / drum. For pads, I like EBC greenstuff tho if I towed more often, I would probably go with their orange stuff pads.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I thought that too, but these EBC’s sure “look” like they’re non-vented. Solid non-vented are typically made for rear.

Edit: Just dug into details on these. It does say they are vented.
That would be an "example" pic, not of actual specific part for your application. The rotors in that pic are definitely not vented; they are solid, they are not the rotors that fit your truck.

Vented rotors are the ones where the front and rear faces have cooling vanes in between. Not a reference to drilled, or slotted.

Richard

RMRP

Reaction score
I have drilled and slotted rotors and they work fine, I use them cos I got a good deal and new brakes are better than old and worn.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Aren't comparisons with 'race' a little meaningless now race brakes are carbon? Vented, but undrilled and no slots.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DWPreston1969