Door handles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigblue24

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi guys I have a 1999 tahoe and passenger front door handle broke so I was wondering If I could use a rear door handle to get rid of the key hole has anyone done this before?

dkennedy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now for the dumb question... I'm assuming you have some sort of electronic door locks, but if you eliminate the key hole WTF do you do it you have issues with the electronics (dead battery/short in the wires/dog eats the little remote button thingy) and it's locked?

1low95GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes the rear door handles will work on the front.
Now for the dumb question... I'm assuming you have some sort of electronic door locks, but if you eliminate the key hole WTF do you do it you have issues with the electronics (dead battery/short in the wires/dog eats the little remote button thingy) and it's locked?
He is just talking about replaceing the pasanger side door handel so you can still use the key on the driver side

dkennedy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

He is just talking about replaceing the pasanger side door handel so you can still use the key on the driver side

Told you it was a dumb question... I guess the part "rear door handle to get rid of the key hole" grabbed my attention. You guys are always eliminating holes so I thought this was a ends to a means and a mod all rolled up in one.

bigblue24

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Thanks guys yes I will still have the driver door key hole in so it will be no prob there I though since I already had the one for that side it would be a pretty sweet mod and my buddy broke my handle gettin in my truck so im pissed now

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk 2

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
That's actually an old customizing trick from back when GMT400's first came out! Might of been Boyd C. but, who knows?
Yes, they are the same size handles front - rear. And the driver's always break. GMT400's with rear doors, those are also the same, but forget about getting one from the wrecker's. They are the same as the passenger door! Figures! Thanks G.M!
Some of the Hot-Rods that I've worked on with no door handles have had a couple of different ideas to get in to them, if they didn't have the fob, or for some other reason.
A '35 Chevy P.U (468 BBC, w/8-71, 22% overdriven, PG, 3:55's) had an electric weather proof button mounted under the running board on the driver side. Just had to hit it with your toe. And with door poppers in the jambs, the door would just open about 1/2 way. "Hey how do you open the door?" "Gotta say the magic word! Open sezme!" (Toe...Pop!) No hands! "How'd you do that?" This would work only if you have power. Dead battery = uh oh.
Another guy had a remote cable style in the interior, like a modern vehicle. '39 Ford Standard. He had outer door handles with electric locks. For 'just in case', he also had cable with a handle on it, mounted in behind the bumper where it wouldn't rattle, that went up to the hood release mechanism. With this he could open the hood from outside. If his doors were locked, he had another cable that ran inside the door wiring harness cover, through the door jamb, & up close to the hood hinges on the firewall. Pull that & the door would open. No power required. I think that this idea could be down without the hood release, too. Just gotta have some place for that door cable to be.
The cable just hooks up to the door lock rod, in some way. Someone more exp. with that stuff could help you on the mechanics.
Or...I could show you how to break in to one of these trucks!
No really, I could!
Just throwing ideas out there.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
LOL!!! Noooo. First time I locked the keys in my truck (Yea, I've done it since! But I'm GOOD at getting into it now!) it took me & the ole man, a 40 year mechanic, a good couple hours to figure out a method that didn't involve a brick, or a crowbar, or any other means of destruction that were getting closer & closer to hand by the minute!

Last edited:

bigblue24

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's actually an old customizing trick from back when GMT400's first came out! Might of been Boyd C. but, who knows?
Yes, they are the same size handles front - rear. And the driver's always break. GMT400's with rear doors, those are also the same, but forget about getting one from the wrecker's. They are the same as the passenger door! Figures! Thanks G.M!
Some of the Hot-Rods that I've worked on with no door handles have had a couple of different ideas to get in to them, if they didn't have the fob, or for some other reason.
A '35 Chevy P.U (468 BBC, w/8-71, 22% overdriven, PG, 3:55's) had an electric weather proof button mounted under the running board on the driver side. Just had to hit it with your toe. And with door poppers in the jambs, the door would just open about 1/2 way. "Hey how do you open the door?" "Gotta say the magic word! Open sezme!" (Toe...Pop!) No hands! "How'd you do that?" This would work only if you have power. Dead battery = uh oh.
Another guy had a remote cable style in the interior, like a modern vehicle. '39 Ford Standard. He had outer door handles with electric locks. For 'just in case', he also had cable with a handle on it, mounted in behind the bumper where it wouldn't rattle, that went up to the hood release mechanism. With this he could open the hood from outside. If his doors were locked, he had another cable that ran inside the door wiring harness cover, through the door jamb, & up close to the hood hinges on the firewall. Pull that & the door would open. No power required. I think that this idea could be down without the hood release, too. Just gotta have some place for that door cable to be.
The cable just hooks up to the door lock rod, in some way. Someone more exp. with that stuff could help you on the mechanics.
Or...I could show you how to break in to one of these trucks!
No really, I could!
Just throwing ideas out there.

Man bro u got my mind wondering now about doing something like that and just swapping both the front door handles out I think that would look pretty sweet and would make ppl look at my truck twice like where is his key holes lol and it would stop break in attempts be cause my friends truck was broken into and the thiefs knocked the lock out and opend the door

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk 2