Door Chime Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
Well I couldn't find an impala, in fact I didn't see the door chime under the dash in most 90s/early 00s GMs. I didn't look very hard though, it would probably be the wrong one if I had to dig for it...

I pulled this out of a caprice. Looks just like the supposed impala dinger, but a different connector.
You must be registered for see images attach

I will have to go back to my normal yard tomorrow. I went to a new yard today that only had 3-4 gmt400s let alone any trucks and suvs.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Well I couldn't find an impala, in fact I didn't see the door chime under the dash in most 90s/early 00s GMs. I didn't look very hard though, it would probably be the wrong one if I had to dig for it...

I pulled this out of a caprice. Looks just like the supposed impala dinger, but a different connector.

I will have to go back to my normal yard tomorrow. I went to a new yard today that only had 3-4 gmt400s let alone any trucks and suvs.

Nope, that's too new. I split one of those apart to try and graft it into the truck before without success.

The late 90's+ had the chime built into the bcm i believe, so there no module to find.

You need to find one that has the same blade arrangement as the truck. Mid/Late 80's early 90's iirc.

Sucky thing is; some of them were buzzer, some were chime. So you dont know what you're getting until you power it up. If you find a car that's loaded with all the options you're probably going to get a chime though.

They're probably not going to be that easy to find these days. Most of the older iron has gone off to crusher heaven to be reborn as razor blades or something....

Last edited:

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
Nope, that's too new. I split one of those apart to try and graft it into the truck before without success.

The late 90's+ had the chime built into the bcm i believe, so there no module to find.

You need to find one that has the same blade arrangement as the truck. Mid/Late 80's early 90's iirc.

Sucky thing is; some of them were buzzer, some were chime. So you dont know what you're getting until you power it up. If you find a car that's loaded with all the options you're probably going to get a chime though.

They're probably not going to be that easy to find these days. Most of the older iron has gone off to crusher heaven to be reborn as razor blades or something....
Still some older stuff around here (no salt on the roads down here and car inspections to get older vehicles off the road).

I found one today out of a 1990 caprice (square body), the one i pulled yesterday was from a 1995 round body.

Anyways, here is a quick video of the various chimes (keys in the ignition/door ajar, headlight on/key off, and the seatbelt chime). I LOVE IT! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1XG-hLEzXg&

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
top= mid 90s caprice/impala round body
middle= 1990 caprice
bottom= 88-98 chevy truck

As said above, since the gmt400 came out in 1988 you want to look in GMs from the late 80s. Mid 90s is too new.

IkenEffect

Reaction score
I hate the door chime but after locking my keys in my truck a few times, and leaving the headlights on to come out to a dead battery I wanted to find a way to mod the original box. So I took it apart.
I still have to test it but I quickly see that there are pins for IGN, SB LMP, GND, SB SW, Key, B+, and HL
IGN = Ignition, need to test if this is the 12v+ in..
SB LMP = seatbelt lamp
GND = Ground
SB SW = Seatbelt switch / is your seat belt latched
Key = are the keys in the ignition or left in but the truck is off
B+ = not sure yet I guess the battery will test to find out.
and
HL = headlights.

As I work out the circuit board I will post updates but I see no reason why I can not just un-solder the pins I don't want like IGN or Key or if something is for the doors. However, as there is not a pin directly called Door or Ajar on this unit I question if this can be done from the unit itself.

If anyone has opened the chime box and messed with it please let me know.
I plan to ask a friend who is an electrical engineer to take a look with me but I am hopeful we can figure it out.

I am new to this group so I hope its ok i am posting here, if not just let me know,
Thanks,
-Justin