Anyone know how to remove this harness?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-Lake

Reaction score
Trying to remove this harness and get down to the firewall. Anyone on this site know if I can remove this harness at this location or is it connected through the firewall? I haven't been able to figure out how the tabs work so I figured I'd ask before I just start pulling stuff out. I have tried to find this harness (tailight harness) but I have been told that GM has not given permission for anyone to remake this harness at this time. Not sure if that is true or not, but what I have been told.

Attachments

• image1 (12).jpeg
    image1 (12).jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 34

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Once you get the center screw loose (it's captive, but you'll feel when it's finally loose), you tug the whole assembly out but beware it's held tight by sticky black tar goo that waterproofs the connections. Once you have it out, the surrounding clip has hidden tabs around it that allow the individual harnesses to be released. Just take your time. It's difficult to explain and it's been years since I've pulled any apart but once you get the block off the firewall and can see it from behind, reach in with small flat screwdriver to release tabs, it becomes fairly simple.

Richard

B-Lake

Reaction score
Once you get the center screw loose (it's captive, but you'll feel when it's finally loose), you tug the whole assembly out but beware it's held tight by sticky black tar goo that waterproofs the connections. Once you have it out, the surrounding clip has hidden tabs around it that allow the individual harnesses to be released. Just take your time. It's difficult to explain and it's been years since I've pulled any apart but once you get the block off the firewall and can see it from behind, reach in with small flat screwdriver to release tabs, it becomes fairly simple.

Richard
thank you very much!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cab side has two screws that hold it in place. If it warms up a bit today I'm going to reinstall the harness in Roscoe.

B-Lake

Reaction score

Richard
I have the bottom piece of that harness disconnected, it was held in place by a 1/4" bolt. I am trying to remove the top two harnesses from the block that attaches to the firewall. If anyone has any experience here, I'd appreciate it, thanks!!

Attachments

• image0 (10).jpeg
    image0 (10).jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 12
  • image1 (13).jpeg
    image1 (13).jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 12

B-Lake

Reaction score
Alright, I got that harness loose! And, I appreciate you guys not responding and giving me an easy way out on this deal, j/k - lol. For anyone else that plans on doing this, here is how I did it, I'm sure there is a better way. I removed the two 7mm screws on each side of the block and the 1/4" bolt in the center of the block. Once the center block is removed, move it side to side and it will detach. As for the top of the block, I pushed the block through the firewall into the cab, there was a tab on the fender side of the block. I pressed out on that tab and wiggled the plug loose. I am sure there is a better way, but I was able to remove that harness without breaking anything. Appreciate all the help.

Last edited: