Do y'all think the brand of motor oil really matters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I've always liked Havoline because my family ran a Texaco/Havoline oil distribution center for years. I do put Chevron Delo in the '92 though.

Ritchison07

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive ran rotelle 15w40 and a k&n filter in mine since ive owned it. Burns a qrt in between 3k oil changes, i only use it for the zinc additives. Prob switch to rotella 10w30 as soon as the temp drops to help with cold starts.
My backup oil is always valvoline.. just because its high quality and one of the few oils still made in america.

Sent From My Galaxy S3

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I always use Mobile 1 or Valvoline SynPower. The original owner cared enough about it to keep it in a garage and keep Mobile 1 in it, and I'll do the same.

I remember seeing a video where a company tore down a 5.4L engine out of an Econoline van with 350,000 miles on it (engine still ran fine, it was part of an experiment) that always had Mobil 1 in it, and it still looked brand new inside. No sludge or gunk anywhere. A lot of parts look like they were just machined in fact. That's enough to sell me on it.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
As said earlier in the thread, oil is oil. What makes a difference in the oils now-a-days, are the additives. The amount of detergents an oil has, the amount of lubricants an oil has, etc. etc.

I used 15w40 Rotella in both my 350 and my Isuzu diesel. This is because the heavy weights still have zinc in them to help lubricate.

Someone in another thread told me the other day that the heavy weights are going no zinc soon too though. In this case, you're gonna want to either run a synthetic "race" oil that still have zinc in it, or you're gonna want to buy a zinc additive to use during every oil change.

For all my break in's I use ZDDP plus. It's good stuff and about $5 a bottle. http://www.zddplus.com/

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
if my trucks were picky they woulda blown up by now aha. my 98 has has 0-30 10-40 10-30 5-20 5-30 15-40 0-50 5-50 in it so far without any issues haha

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From a thread on BITOG forum:

Question: Who makes O'Reilly's brand of oil?

Answer: O'Reilly's brand of oil is manufactured and packaged by Omni Specialty Packaging. Omni is an independent lubricant manufacturer in Shreveport, LA. While Omni is not affiliated with any "major" manufacturer, we do buy our base oils from companies like Exxon/Mobil and Shell.

Question: What specs does O'Reilly motor oil meet and how does it compare to name brand oils?

Answer: O'Reilly brand motor oils meet API 'SM' service classification and where applicable ILSAC 'GF-4'. Both API 'SM' and ILSAC 'GF-4' are the latest industry standards for passenger car motor oils. These are the same specifications that all "major" brand oils should meet.

http://www.oreillylubetech.com/

The API and SAE specs found in the little sunburst label on the bottle will tell you all you really need to know. If it's SM rated, and another brand is SM rated, then their performance should be SIMILAR, but not necessarily identical. Base stock and additives will make a difference in their performance, and can give superior performance depending on application. Whether or not your application needs anything beyond the basic SM spec is entirely up to you. It's a lot like gasoline, in that if it's rated at 87 octane R+M/2 it will perform fine in an engine that requires 87 octane fuel, regardless of the brand. "Top Tier" fuels just have more/different additives, but won't necessarily perform any better AS A FUEL, though they may make for a cleaner fuel system and engine.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
oil is oil. gas is gas. if it comes from the earth, its all the same.. Unless it has synthetics in it.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Gas is definitely not the same. Justin at BBP showed me on his computer the different numbers between cheap 93 octane and good 93 octane from Chevron or the like while we were driving my Tahoe.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
Gas is definitely not the same. Justin at BBP showed me on his computer the different numbers between cheap 93 octane and good 93 octane from Chevron or the like while we were driving my Tahoe.

^^^ you need to spend some time on a dyno!! this is not true at all..

Lmao Sorry i just realized how stupid of a comment was. Proves how you should think before you post:owned: