Do I REALLY have to remove the front dif for a lousy axle seal?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rogue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all,

I decided to tackle the leaking front driver's side axle seal on my 97 K1500, 3.73 gear ratio. I have seen other members able to remove the driver's front axle without a problem, but I went to do it, and the top quarter inch of the flange? for the inner axle hits right on the frame. Is the only way to replace this seal to remove the front differential assembly altogether? I thought about loosening some bolts and dropping it a hair and seeing if I can pull the axle out....

My understanding is that most 88-98 K1500's front dif were similar for mounting/location, so why my 97 is having a hangup on the frame puzzles me...

Any and all comments/guidance is welcome. Including "you're stupid" comments about my choice of replacing a seal that's just gonna leak again in year or two :crazy:

Rogue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just loosen the mounts on that side. Do it at work all the time.

-Pat

Sent from somewhere in Minnesota

Thanks for the prompt reply! Are there just two (usually?) on the driver's side?

Tech89

Reaction score
You're welcome. Yeah. I would just pull the Bolts on that side all the way out.

-Pat

Rogue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

-Pat

Awesome, I will have to mess with it if I get some time over Thanksgiving. It's up on jack stands now with that side's suspension/steering stuff torn apart. I was really dreading having to take the whole front dif out! Thanks again!

Rogue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

-Pat

Got the job done today, I only needed to pull the bottom/rear one and loosen the top one to get the clearance I needed. I struggled with getting the top bolt out since I couldn't get my steering linkage to move....took two wrenches with awkward turning to get it loose.

Tech89

Reaction score
Got the job done today, I only needed to pull the bottom/rear one and loosen the top one to get the clearance I needed. I struggled with getting the top bolt out since I couldn't get my steering linkage to move....took two wrenches with awkward turning to get it loose.
Awesome. Easier with a hoist haha.

-Pat