Distributor Cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But that doesn’t mean that is an OEM GM part. That’s just confirming fitment. I guess my question is now- did GM:AcDelco make that in Marine Grade(probably) and is that what I received today? That’s just an aftermarket part.
Here’s a standard AcDelco 10452459. Not Marine Grade and same part number.
You must be registered for see images attach

What GM did then and what GM does now are two different things. I have had a Kohler generator apart diagnosing a no start that had the GM brass cap on it as well.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
GM,like most major manufacturers does not produce every part that they sell. They use vendors or subcontractors if you will . These suppliers have a contract to supply a certian number of parts made to a set of specification at an agreed on price for a set period of time.
Once that agreement is met the contract can be renewed or GM will find a new supplier. The materials that the parts are made from can be changed in each contract mostly due to price. So it is entirely possible that at one time an OE part number came with brass contacts and when that vendors contract ended the cost of materials forced the vendor to raise the cost per unit and GM found a new vendor to supplly the part at a lower cost per unit, hence, a brass contact OE part.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there any reason besides aesthetics to use the crab cap vs: older crown style?

… assuming the wires are proper so there’s no length / figment issue?

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GM,like most major manufacturers does not produce every part that they sell. They use vendors or subcontractors if you will . These suppliers have a contract to supply a certian number of parts made to a set of specification at an agreed on price for a set period of time.
Once that agreement is met the contract can be renewed or GM will find a new supplier. The materials that the parts are made from can be changed in each contract mostly due to price. So it is entirely possible that at one time an OE part number came with brass contacts and when that vendors contract ended the cost of materials forced the vendor to raise the cost per unit and GM found a new vendor to supplly the part at a lower cost per unit, hence, a brass contact OE part.

This^^^

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Vortecs are hard on caps, rotors, and plugs, period. TBI's cap, rotor, and plugs last 2-3 times longer when comparing AC Delco or Delphi parts to one another.

Having tried aftermarket caps and rotors, I tend to be skeptical of them.

In the past brass contacts seem to wear out faster than aluminum. Maybe the current brass caps and rotors have a longer lifespan......I'm tempted to try the United Motor brass cap and rotor.

Vented caps might be better in high humidity areas, but the last thing I want is a hole in my distributor cap........

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Vortecs are hard on caps, rotors, and plugs, period. TBI's cap, rotor, and plugs last 2-3 times longer when comparing AC Delco or Delphi parts to one another.

Having tried aftermarket caps and rotors, I tend to be skeptical of them.

In the past brass contacts seem to wear out faster than aluminum. Maybe the current brass caps and rotors have a longer lifespan......I'm tempted to try the United Motor brass cap and rotor.

Vented caps might be better in high humidity areas, but the last thing I want is a hole in my distributor cap........

Actually you want the distributor vented and it would be even better if it were vvacuum vented from the engine.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Is there any reason besides aesthetics to use the crab cap vs: older crown style?

… assuming the wires are proper so there’s no length / figment issue?
Not sure as I have not looked at a TBI distributor in hand, but I think the part where the cap sits is different size on them, than on a Vortec distributor. Vortecs also have the flat part so the cap won't go on backwards. But the firewall depression is about the same shape....

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whether or not it's an authentic AC Delco, it has brass terminals. If it's chinesium, it's high grade chinesium and I'd run it.

Yes, it depends more on the company specing the part and overseeing quality control. If one holds the Chinesiums feet to the fire they can produce quality. The caps are probably all built in China/Asia, I trust OEM types like Delco/Delphi more. Although SMP parts have seemed to have pretty good reliability in recent times.