Distributor Cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just received a “NOS AcDelco” distributor cap and not sure it’s legit. When I bought my 96 K1500, it still had its original cap. I know this because I got all its service records and the original sticker that spanned the cap and distributor was intact. I still have that cap and recently purchased another NOS that matched it perfectly. This one is a bit different. Did any pre-96 caps come with brass like this one? I’m skeptical!
You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just received a “NOS AcDelco” distributor cap and not sure it’s legit. When I bought my 96 K1500, it still had its original cap. I know this because I got all its service records and the original sticker that spanned the cap and distributor was intact. I still have that cap and recently purchased another NOS that matched it perfectly. This one is a bit different. Did any pre-96 caps come with brass like this one? I’m skeptical!
I would consider that a lucky score. That one might be a marine cap. The aluminum ones are garbage. The only caps that have ever lived on my van are MSD.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I agree, that looks like a marine grade cap to me too. I've had good luck with Blue Streak caps, rotors, etc. for years; it's what Dad always used. For the Vortec, though, they don't make a distributor cap, so on the other Burb we used an Accel one. Worked good as I recall. I have a UMP vented one on the current Burb, am going to put their cap and rotor on Rawhide once I get a good paycheck (need to get all 4 O2 sensors too!).

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would consider that a lucky score. That one might be a marine cap. The aluminum ones are garbage. The only caps that have ever lived on my van are MSD.
I agree, that looks like a marine grade cap to me too. I've had good luck with Blue Streak caps, rotors, etc. for years; it's what Dad always used. For the Vortec, though, they don't make a distributor cap, so on the other Burb we used an Accel one. Worked good as I recall. I have a UMP vented one on the current Burb, am going to put their cap and rotor on Rawhide once I get a good paycheck (need to get all 4 O2 sensors too!).
So Acdelco made Marine Grade caps and that looks legit as one?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The give away for me is the brass inserts on the hold down screws.

I just looked and the GM part number for the marine cap is 10452459. They have come down alot in price. The only ones I saw years ago were well over $100.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would consider vacuum venting that cap. Use a vacuum check valve and then a dorman vacuum restrictor. Oreilly carries both in the help section. Tee off the ac vacuum hose off the intake. From the tee, connect the check valve, then the restrictor, then pull the cap off the vent tube and hook a vacuum line from the cap to the restrictor. Engine vacuum will continuously purge the distributor of moisture and ozone.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM 10452459 is the only number for that GM/Acdelco cap. I don’t see where it specifies Marine Grade. When I search that number it just shows standard cap.