Distributor Cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did any pre-96 caps come with brass like this one? I’m skeptical!
It sounds like you have your question answered for the most part but I'm going to answer this one. You will not find a cap like that for pre 96. 96 was the first year of those caps in our trucks. The 95 and down where TBI not vortec and use a different cap.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you have your question answered for the most part but I'm going to answer this one. You will not find a cap like that for pre 96. 96 was the first year of those caps in our trucks. The 95 and down where TBI not vortec and use a different cap.
Duhhh, absolutely right on that. But yes that is Vortec style but like I pointed out, mine didn’t come with brass contacts. I have the original, now I suppose it could be an OEM marine grade cap.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Duhhh, absolutely right on that. But yes that is Vortec style but like I pointed out, mine didn’t come with brass contacts. I have the original, now I suppose it could be an OEM marine grade cap.
I understand your questioning the brass contacts I would have to. I know almost nothing about the Vortec's so I didn't want to comment on that portion of you question because I didn't want to give incorrect information.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But that doesn’t mean that is an OEM GM part. That’s just confirming fitment. I guess my question is now- did GM:AcDelco make that in Marine Grade(probably) and is that what I received today? That’s just an aftermarket part.
Here’s a standard AcDelco 10452459. Not Marine Grade and same part number.
You must be registered for see images attach

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I’d pop it off, they crust up pretty quick.

You dont just pop off the cap on the 454...its buried. I'll replace it again when I do the intake manifold. In fact i have a new distributor for it.....I should look at that cap and check the contact material.

I think the us made ac delco cap I bought for my 69 Buick is brass.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You dont just pop off the cap on the 454...its buried. I'll replace it again when I do the intake manifold. In fact i have a new distributor for it.....I should look at that cap and check the contact material.

I think the us made ac delco cap I bought for my 69 Buick is brass.
I see. Probably worth doing though.

Jeepwalker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just curious what the advantage of a 'OEM' NOS cap is, vs a quality aftermarket cap with brass terminals? Is there a performance advantage, or are you just restoring a pickup using as many NOS parts as possible (which I understand)?

I thought I read somewhere at one time early OEM HEI caps, the plastic was 'shielded' whereas cheaper aftermarket caps weren't. Is this cap, and current Delco caps, also 'shielded'?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious what the advantage of a 'OEM' NOS cap is, vs a quality aftermarket cap with brass terminals? Is there a performance advantage, or are you just restoring a pickup using as many NOS parts as possible (which I understand)?

I thought I read somewhere at one time early OEM HEI caps, the plastic was 'shielded' whereas cheaper aftermarket caps weren't. Is this cap, and current Delco caps, also 'shielded'?
OEM>Chineseum

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have seen a crab style on a TBI but I think it was a 4.3L. I know in 94 or 95 some of the CPI 4.3s had a crank sensor, the crab cap and the a OBD 1.5 version of the Black box.