Ignition distributor upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I seem to be going to more distributor caps here lately. The truck will act like you lose fuel pressure, you can put the pedal to the floor and then all of a sudden you just takes off out of nowhere. Idle gets to be super rough and then will clear up out of nowhere I’m 99.9% sure it’s the distributor cap again. I know this factory design of the internal “pathways” suck. Has anyone changed to an old school style assy with the posts facing up? The bear cap I have had luck with is the Orileys house brand. I was also thinking of getting one from summit. However the designs are still all the same.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The designs are all the same for the correct style cap on your truck but the quality has dropped over the years. The cap most seem to have good luck with these days is the UMP cap that is blue, has brass terminals, and a vent. You can order it from Rock.

Richard

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
^ This. P/N DCR820 Cap and rotor w/ brass contacts $23.79, the vented cap shows out of stock. Check in a couple of days,the vented cap has an X in the P/N

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have had the best luck with a brass terminal marine cap. GM made them years ago, Mercruiser has since brought out their own as a replacement for the GM one that GM replaced with a shoddy one.