DirtridinZ71 Budget SAS Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shipping is the big killer for ordering anything large state side, makes it hardly worth the while for me.

I got the premimum balljoints, axle shaft u-joints, spring center pins and all leaf spring bolts this week. Plans are to get it all installed this weekend.

Also priced up gears today, debating what to do with the front end. Going with 4.56 gears I need a new carrier (around 75) and also need a full spider gear set ($140) or to go with a lockrite ($320) or the cheapest route is just to go full spool ($160). The truck will be mostly trail/mud truck but not sure if the full locked front end would be the way to go. I plan to keep the 35's for now maybe move up to 37's or so at some point. I also want the D44 to stay alive too, but do like the idea of the added traction, I know the rear lockrite made a big difference. Any thoughts on running a locker vs spool vs open?

The new balljoints compared to OE's, much better.
You must be registered for see images attach

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I've been MIA awhile, glad I saw this! Looking forward to progress of the build!

IF you are interested, I have a set of large bearing GM outers (big bearing 77+ dana 44 or 10-bolt) that have been drilled and 14MM studs installed to match the rear. I have no use for them since going 8-lug.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
just the dom for the drag link and tie rod. the tube inserts jam nuts and tie rod ends and drank link ends. cant seem to come up with any cheaper way

dom is cheap from many ebay sellers, same with the heim joints and inserts, i need to look around to find the name of the company i ordered from

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
full spool will snap axle shafts in the front end.
That is my big concern with the spool. I just wonder how hard it will be on them? Given I have been able to keep the ifs together.

not just that it also will pull the front end down as it binds turning, i really hate that about mine but it sure bites hard in the mud ;)
Care to explain why it pulls the front end down while turning? Not sure I understand what you mean.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been MIA awhile, glad I saw this! Looking forward to progress of the build!

IF you are interested, I have a set of large bearing GM outers (big bearing 77+ dana 44 or 10-bolt) that have been drilled and 14MM studs installed to match the rear. I have no use for them since going 8-lug.

Thanks for the offer but shipping would probably be more then just having one knuckle retapered. I can have that done for around 50 bucks. Not sure which one to do yet I think clearance is going to be to close to the springs with the tie rod on top.