Difference between 1500 and 2500LD leaf springs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wiscomick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Quick question.

My truck is a 97 2500LD 2WD with the 6 lug wheels. About a month or so ago I installed some 2" drop shackles to try and drop the rear end down and get rid of the really bad rake the truck had. It's still sitting way too high, and not as low as some of the pics I've seen of 1500 models with the same drop shackles installed. I'm assuming this is due to the different leaf springs that the 2500LD uses.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the two? Is it simply leaf count? Could I just pull a leaf to get it a touch lower? I don't need the extra capacity as this truck will never see another load in it's life, it's purely a street truck from here on out.

Just spitballing some ideas. Thanks for the help!

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the 2500LD has one more leaf than the 1500. My 1500 has 3/1 for a total of 4 leafs. I'm guessing yours is a 4/1 or a 5/1 leaf pack. Take a look when you get a chance and count the leafs.

wiscomick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My spring is a 4+1 with at least an inch thick overload spring.

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
You can remove a leaf (plenty of people have gone that route), throw some 1/2 ton springs in, and/or get the drop hangers in the front as well to get you down a bit lower. You have some flexibility in your options here, and going down to 3+1 pack will smooth the ride a bit as well.

Dan Hay

Reaction score
Remove the overloads, that should get you drop equal to the height of the overloads. Unless you haul heavy stuff you don't need them.

Dropped hangers in the front will get you another 2".

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You can remove a leaf (plenty of people have gone that route), throw some 1/2 ton springs in, and/or get the drop hangers in the front as well to get you down a bit lower. You have some flexibility in your options here, and going down to 3+1 pack will smooth the ride a bit as well.

Not as much as you'd think, he'll just hit that beefy overload that much quicker going that route. He'd be better off without the overload.

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
Yep, agreed. I just talked right past that point when I suggested going the other route. Dropping the overload is what I'd try first.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 88 C1500 has 4 & 1 springs but I think the PO told me he added a leaf (that was 17 years ago lol). Maybe he got them from a heavy half? It also looks like he extended the shackles to bring it down some. Either way my ass is way higher than I'd like. It's about 3" higher than the front. That's gonna be my next project.

You must be registered for see images attach