Leaf Springs or What?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigReb95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi everyone. So during the past 4.5 years of owning my truck, I’ve replaced everything front to back mechanically. BUT, I bought it with a 6 inch lift already installed. Everything else was a disaster. My most recent experience was replacing/rebuilding my 10 bolt rear end to a 14 bolt with locker in December 2022.

Keeping that in mind, while I’m driving every day, it pulls to the right. Looking at the truck, body lines and frame look straight. I’ve replaced and thought of everything in the front end. When I did the rear end, there was no change. I’ve just dealt with it. Basically I’m correcting the truck from going to the right by turning the steering wheel to the left a bit. I believe they call this crabbing? So I’m to the point where I’m sick of it, so I’m staring at my truck and I’m just finally noticing that my rear passenger wheel looks kicked forward a bit. I look at the other side, it’s normal. Front wheels, normal. I’m looking at the leaf spring on that pass side, frame looks straight. I did the shackle last year and I really had to pull hard on the leaf spring hard just to make it straight and go into the rear hanger.

When i did my rear end, nothing was broke. But the leaf spring on that side looks a little twisted, like the pack isn’t all straight. My question is would the leaf springs or front bushings cause my truck to pull to the right while correcting it to the left? It’s not bad bad, but let go of the wheel and it goes right immediately. I’ve dealt it for a long time now it’s time to make it right.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take the vehicle to a REAL alignment shop. Let them discover whether the axle is crooked, or the toe adjustment/steering wheel centering is off, or the camber/caster is screwed, or front-end parts are worn-out, or some combination. It pulls, AND the steering wheel is off-center. Could easily be multiple problems.

How's the tire wear?

Otherwise you're stuck doing criss-cross measurements to verify spring and axle location; or giving up and pulling the U-bolts to see if the axle locating pins are broken/missing. And that still doesn't verify the front-end alignment.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
^ Agree'd, a standard front end alignment wont fix or address that at all. Look for an alignment shop that know what 'Thrust Angle' means and how to diagnose why its off.

BigReb95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the front aligned last year because I replaced a lot of worn parts. Pitman and idler arms and everything else. Which makes me believe it’s the rear visible issue making me having to correct the wheel going down the road. Also the shops around here, not so smart lol.

BigReb95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So to follow up on this, I replaced my leaf springs yesterday, upgraded to 5+1 packs. Truck drove more straight, but front needed adjustment so I did my own alignment until I can get the truck on an alignment rack. Definitely an improvement and doesn’t pull hard anymore.

Casey916

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
^ Agree'd, a standard front end alignment wont fix or address that at all. Look for an alignment shop that know what 'Thrust Angle' means and how to diagnose why its off.
question about thrust angle ..see I'm going to be doing a c notch in my 98 half ton and I'm worried about stuff like this I was t to make shur that my flip kit is done correctly and I don't end up having issues with the truck scrapping down the road.what can I do to on my part to make sure and prevent if anything like this happening does anybody have any advice

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
question about thrust angle ..see I'm going to be doing a c notch in my 98 half ton and I'm worried about stuff like this I was t to make shur that my flip kit is done correctly and I don't end up having issues with the truck scrapping down the road.what can I do to on my part to make sure and prevent if anything like this happening does anybody have any advice
If done CORRECTLY a flip and notch won't change anything. After you lower the front take it to an alignment shop.