Did I buy the wrong fuel tank or a poorly made one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChooChooTruck

Reaction score
Howdy. New here. Not new to forums though.

I’ve got a 90 model Choo Choo Customs 2wd stepside c1500 that’s been sitting out for almost 20 years and I’m now trying to rebuild it into something nice as a weekend cruiser.

So my old gas tank was full of bad gas that had turned into slime so I had to buy another one. I bought one from Amazon from a seller named 1A Auto that claimed to be for a c1500 shortbed and also came with new straps which I had to use because my mechanic destroyed the old ones taking them out.

My problem is when my mechanic put it in it didn’t go in there completely straight. The part that slips under the cab hits up against it and it’s also crooked. And to make matters worse the filler hole is slightly lower than the factory one and it’s straight instead of angled up like the factory tank. What this does is makes the filler not clear the frame rail and no amount of pushing and shoving will make the tank go up any more.

My question is did I buy the wrong fuel tank? Does a stepside have a different tank from a fleetside? Or was this tank a very poor reproduction of the original and I need to buy another? And if so, who would have one that would fit correctly?

If I have to buy another tank I would really like to know who would have a factory correct one because I don’t want to waste even more money on a tank that doesn’t fit anything

Thank you for your time and I apologize ahead of time for any stupid questions for this is my first post here.

You must be registered for see images attach

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I think the tanks are the same, but someone else will have to chime in here if that's correct or not.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you sit aftermarket tank beside factory one for comparison and measurements