Did GM ever make this truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, apparently a light truck is a light truck by CA rules, so he's wanting to put a CA emissions certified GMT-400 powertrain in an S10... or at least that's my understanding of this thread.
So he needs a same/similar year engine trans combo in order to put it in his S-10 so CARB will pass it?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have multiple questions here. 1) there were no V8 S10 series trucks available for sale in Calif. So no comparable example. 2) there were S10, S15 , S series blazer, Typhoon, Cyclone with turbocharged V6. 3) the carb emissions requirements are like any other regulations or laws common publicity available. The referee should have informed you of that rather than a casting numbers expert. " oh yeah , it's a 305 " ; bored to 383, moron. 4) there is an issue with a blanket rule that emissions and milage requirements based on wheelbase mandate a crazy high mpg, strict smog. That's why no more small pickups are produced, Chevy luv, S10, Mazda etc. 5) the last time I reviewed the conversion rules, if installed an engine of later manufacturing I would have to also install the required emissions devices for that year engine.( Before that stricter change , it was take out 360, install 440 keep all V8 smog, you got an exception and pass certificate.)
Have looked at the carb rules on engine change conversion?
Because GM has , that's why they sell a turn key kit, that's carb approved. I don't remember specifics but they jumped through the hoops, might be worth reading. The referees are not looking to pass, there objective is looking to fail more vehicles. They pass a conversion, carb does a no notice inspection disagrees, Levy's a fine and suspension on the referee. Carb is a vindictive out of control organization with to little oversight, and to much authority. Good luck.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have multiple questions here. 1) there were no V8 S10 series trucks available for sale in Calif. So no comparable example. 2) there were S10, S15 , S series blazer, Typhoon, Cyclone with turbocharged V6. 3) the carb emissions requirements are like any other regulations or laws common publicity available. The referee should have informed you of that rather than a casting numbers expert. " oh yeah , it's a 305 " ; bored to 383, moron. 4) there is an issue with a blanket rule that emissions and milage requirements based on wheelbase mandate a crazy high mpg, strict smog. That's why no more small pickups are produced, Chevy luv, S10, Mazda etc. 5) the last time I reviewed the conversion rules, if installed an engine of later manufacturing I would have to also install the required emissions devices for that year engine.( Before that stricter change , it was take out 360, install 440 keep all V8 smog, you got an exception and pass certificate.)
Because GM has , that's why they sell a turn key kit, that's carb approved. I don't remember specifics but they jumped through the hoops, might be worth reading. The referees are not looking to pass, there objective is looking to fail more vehicles. They pass a conversion, carb does a no notice inspection disagrees, Levy's a fine and suspension on the referee. Carb is a vindictive out of control organization with to little oversight, and to much authority. Good luck.
Yea I have seen where those connect and cruise engines are a nightmare to get through smog in California as well. Like not even worth it kind of nightmare.

carguy502

Reaction score
1) there were no V8 S10 series trucks available for sale in Calif. So no comparable example.
- This is 100% correct.

2) there were S10, S15 , S series blazer, Typhoon, Cyclone with turbocharged V6.
- This is 100% correct, but they were only offered through 1991-1993 , but we need 1993 or newer by California Engine Change regs.

3) the carb emissions requirements are like any other regulations or laws common publicity available. The referee should have informed you of that rather than a casting numbers expert. " oh yeah , it's a 305 " ; bored to 383, moron.
- He was more helpful than this, but simply said they are supposed to look for obvious violations (a 305 passed off as a 350 is a good example if you don't check the casting numbers, but they cannot easily check 350 vs 383 as the changes are internal). He also mentioned any aftermarket parts that do not have a CARB E.O. number for the donor vehicle.

4) there is an issue with a blanket rule that emissions and milage requirements based on wheelbase mandate a crazy high mpg, strict smog.
- Totally. The rules are arcane and have very little to d with actually reducing emissions. If we can pull off an LO5/5 speed, it will pollute a lot more and be way less efficent than a 4.8/5.3 swap. We just cant do it because all GMT800 trucks are too heavy GVWR wise.

Last edited: