Did GM ever make this truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Unicorn does exist. Andre from TFL had the window sticker in his hands. 5.7L/5spd 1500. I have seen and driven several of them, just not in years.

Last edited:

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Greetings mars2878,

Thanks for sharing! This is a perfect example of why I think so highly of
this forum -- fellow enthusiasts freely sharing what works for them.

I just gave this website a spin, and it worked as advertised. (See attached
for the screen snap.) Note: There aren't too many participating yards in
upstate NY, but when I looked there's a lot of Cali locations that you could
make good use of this search tool? @carguy502 , maybe this is something
that will help you find an otherwise unfindable magic CARB sticker locally?

Good stuff. Again, sincere thanks for sharing the wealth!

Cheers --
I forgot to mention, when it comes to trucks, the site is a little funky.
Sometimes looking up a c/k will net you zero results, but looking up a Silverado/Sierra will get hits. Even when looking up a 93-94.
Same thing will happen when looking up a 99 Blazer vs Trailblazer or 99 Jimmy vs Envoy. Results will pop under both names.

For your particular query, just choose your needed years, Chevrolet or GMC & a known state that your emissions needs would be available in new. Have a drink & some background music of your choosing & scroll 1 vehicle @ a time. When you find something that might work, write down all of the needed info incase you loose your place by accident.
Then if you find vehicles not close to you, you can put the info here in an attempt to recruit help getting the required pictures & or parts.

Also, you can set it up to send you email & text alerts of new arrivals @ yards near you, so you have a chance to get what you need before the vultures who break things to get what they need.

carguy502

Reaction score
The Unicorn does exist. Andre from TFL had the window sticker in his hands. 5.7L/5spd 1500. I have seen and driven several of them, just not in years.

I hope one of those has a Califonia Emissions sticker...

Seeing the window sticker gives me hope...

SlowZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

My 88 Scottsdale doesn’t seem to have any of those emissions codes Roadtrip posted on the 2nd page, however my 01 stepside does have YF5, and it has the dual air system with ports on both manifolds

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey carguy502,

In preparation for tomorrow's 'Tour de Upstate Treasure Yards' I decided to see if I couldn't
find some definitive proof that such as thing as a Cali emissions LO5/5-spd/2WD light duty
GMT400 truck was ever actually offered for sale.

So, the first thing I found out was that the RPO code YF5 is the key to finding everything else.
YF5 = California emissions.

Once I found this, googling around I eventually ended up at the GM Heritage Archive, in the
section with the "Downloadable Vehicle Information Kits". These look to be the old hardcopy documents
that were sent out to the individual dealerships so that they knew about the available features, and
more importantly, the codes they needed to fill out the orders. It starts out with Caddy stuff from
the 1910's...but I slid down to the '1994 Chevrolet Truck' .pdf file.

And the rest of what I'm going to share is taken from there -- literally from the horse's mouth. :0)

To support the YF5 definition, here's the first excerpt from this document:

Knowing this, now we can look at the availability chart and figure out what was what:

Source: GM Heritage Center, Vehicle Information Kits, '94 Chevy Truck' .pdf file. (LINK)

* Alright, elsewhere in the same document the code CC10703 = Regular Cab, Short Bed, 1500, 2WD.

* The reason why there are 2 'CC10703' sections is due to the 5600 vs 6100 GVW ratings on the far right.

* If you look at the L03 (305) listing in the 5600 GVW section, notice that both manual transmission listings have a lowercase (b),
and according to the legend on the bottom this is not available with the YF5 California Emissions.

* Good news! Right underneath there's the L05/MM5 offering, available in 3.08 & 3.42 ratios, and according
to this chart, it *is* available with the YF5 Cali emissions. So, according to this GM document sent out to
the dealerships, this really is a thing at the 5600 GVW rating. (Light Duty)

So my next question was, how many did they make? Luckily, GM also included this 'forecast' of how many of each
flavor truck they expected to sell in the '94 Model Year:

Interesting. Looks like the General was forecasting a 15% 5-speed manual
order rate for the regular cab 1500. So, theoretically, if I find a light duty
'94 C1500, there's a roughly 1 in 7 chance that I'll find a factory stick inside.

So I'm definitely not looking for a mirage. But it might be a unicorn.

But what the heck, the weather is going to be pretty nice for a late
October Saturday. And although I've never done anything as hip
as hike the Appalachian Trail, I have logged my fair share of miles while
searching the treasure yards for obscure/exotic things like the exact
right Cali emissions sticker. And maybe an 8.1 that needs adopting. :0)

I'll be sure to update this tomorrow evening with whatever I find.
(Who knows, maybe somebody will find the magic sticker in a
Cali treasure yard? YF5 is the magic RPO code...)
Note: as the listing is annotated with alpha notes, relates to what " applies " and " what does not apply ", ie. N/A = Not Applicable. Not " not available ".

carguy502

Reaction score
I wanted to provide a quick update to everyone. Further research indicates that this truck was 100% available in 1993-1995 (L05, MM5, YF5, 5600 GVWR), but I have not been able to track down an actual example of even an Automatic truck, UNTIL MAYBE TODAY.

There is a truck on FBMP in CA that supposedly has all the necessary equipment and the gentleman is going to send me a pic of the Emissions label. I will share my findings when I get them, hopefully tonight.

Ugly Duck

Reaction score
A note on Row52: At the two yards local to me that use it, I've found that cars may be in the yard WEEKS before they show up on the website. It hasn't made me delete my search notifications, but it explains why people get there and strip the things SO DARN QUICKLY (they're not...)

Last edited: