Did GM ever make this truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
VIN and Emission Sticker!

Greetings carguy502,

If I understand correctly, *if* I could find you a photo of the 5-speed, Light Duty version of this sticker
it would give you all the codes, etc that you need for the CARB referee?

EDIT: And of course a photo of the matching VIN.

1995 Silverado 5.7L Auto, Medium Duty "Applicable in California"
You must be registered for see images attach

(credit for washed out by flash reflection photo: some expired/left behind For Sale posting)

The reason I ask is that some years ago NY, MA, NH, VT, etc., all adopted the stricter Cali emissions.

EDIT: The US is currently up to 17 states that have adopted stricter Cali emissions:

Note: Green + Blue = states that follow CA emissions. Green only are ZEV for '35...

So the majority of the vehicles in my local treasure yards have Cali emissions stickers under the hood.

If this is what you need then I'll see if I can find what you need between Lake Ontario & the
finger lakes.

Let me know. I don't need much of an excuse to head out to some of my favorite stomping grounds
on a beautiful fall day... :)

Last edited:

carguy502

Reaction score
Greetings carguy502,

If I understand correctly, *if* I could find you a photo of the 5-speed, Light Duty version of this sticker
it would give you all the codes, etc that you need for the CARB referee?

EDIT: And of course a photo of the matching VIN.

1995 Silverado 5.7L Auto, Medium Duty "Applicable in California"

The reason I ask is that some years ago NY, MA, NH, VT, etc., all adopted the stricter Cali emissions.

So the majority of the vehicles in our treasure yards have Cali emissions stickers under the hood.
If this is what you need then I'll see if I can find what you need between Lake Ontario & the
finger lakes.

Let me know. I don't need much of an excuse to head out to some of my favorite stomping grounds
on a beautiful fall day... :)
Yes, that is precisely what I need. I can find an LO5 and we have a T56 already, so we can build the actual package and harness (pretty sure the 2.8 TBI is nearly identical in the sensor and ignition wiring harnesses, save for wire length and I hthink they use the same computer with a 5.7 manual trans prom)

A picture would do, but I would even pay for the shroud (and maybe even the prom?) shipped to Cali. I would not normally ask, but if someone found one in a yard, I would not turn them down.

Best,
Don

Last edited:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is precisely what I need.

A picture would do, but I would even pay for the shroud (and maybe even the prom?) shipped to Cali.

No problem. I have 8.1 reasons of my own to make the rounds and see if there's anything
recently put out to pasture at the treasure yards that can contribute to the sleeper cause. :0)

I just found an old '90 LA Times article -- looks like NY adopted Cali emissions for the '94+ model year.
MA did it in '91, VT in '96, and PA in '98. Who knows? Maybe someone else will hit the unicorn
350/5-spd/light duty Cali emissions sticker jackpot before I manage to?

I'll keep an eye out -- Fun stuff!

Attachments

• N.Y. Adopts Tough California Emissions Standard for Autos - Los Angeles Times .jpg
    N.Y. Adopts Tough California Emissions Standard for Autos - Los Angeles Times .jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This ended sale listing has pictures of the truck's VIN and emissions tag. May be what you need, though it is federal emissions and not Cali specific.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have searched on this site and know that there is some good Carlifornia Engine Changes / Swaps, but the only thing I cannot find is if there was a 5.7 offered with a 5 speed in 2wd configuration (because is needs to be light duty to go into an S10 equipped) with California emissions from 1993-1995 (I want to stay OBD1).

Does anyone have a VIN & Emissions sticker for such a vehicle? Did this truck even exist?

Thank you all in advance!
Don

Hey carguy502,

In preparation for tomorrow's 'Tour de Upstate Treasure Yards' I decided to see if I couldn't
find some definitive proof that such as thing as a Cali emissions LO5/5-spd/2WD light duty
GMT400 truck was ever actually offered for sale.

So, the first thing I found out was that the RPO code YF5 is the key to finding everything else.
YF5 = California emissions.

Once I found this, googling around I eventually ended up at the GM Heritage Archive, in the
section with the "Downloadable Vehicle Information Kits". These look to be the old hardcopy documents
that were sent out to the individual dealerships so that they knew about the available features, and
more importantly, the codes they needed to fill out the orders. It starts out with Caddy stuff from
the 1910's...but I slid down to the '1994 Chevrolet Truck' .pdf file.

And the rest of what I'm going to share is taken from there -- literally from the horse's mouth. :0)

To support the YF5 definition, here's the first excerpt from this document:

Knowing this, now we can look at the availability chart and figure out what was what:

Source: GM Heritage Center, Vehicle Information Kits, '94 Chevy Truck' .pdf file. (LINK)

* Alright, elsewhere in the same document the code CC10703 = Regular Cab, Short Bed, 1500, 2WD.

* The reason why there are 2 'CC10703' sections is due to the 5600 vs 6100 GVW ratings on the far right.

* If you look at the L03 (305) listing in the 5600 GVW section, notice that both manual transmission listings have a lowercase (b),
and according to the legend on the bottom this is not available with the YF5 California Emissions.

* Good news! Right underneath there's the L05/MM5 offering, available in 3.08 & 3.42 ratios, and according
to this chart, it *is* available with the YF5 Cali emissions. So, according to this GM document sent out to
the dealerships, this really is a thing at the 5600 GVW rating. (Light Duty)

So my next question was, how many did they make? Luckily, GM also included this 'forecast' of how many of each
flavor truck they expected to sell in the '94 Model Year:

Interesting. Looks like the General was forecasting a 15% 5-speed manual
order rate for the regular cab 1500. So, theoretically, if I find a light duty
'94 C1500, there's a roughly 1 in 7 chance that I'll find a factory stick inside.

So I'm definitely not looking for a mirage. But it might be a unicorn.

But what the heck, the weather is going to be pretty nice for a late
October Saturday. And although I've never done anything as hip
as hike the Appalachian Trail, I have logged my fair share of miles while
searching the treasure yards for obscure/exotic things like the exact
right Cali emissions sticker. And maybe an 8.1 that needs adopting. :0)

I'll be sure to update this tomorrow evening with whatever I find.
(Who knows, maybe somebody will find the magic sticker in a
Cali treasure yard? YF5 is the magic RPO code...)

Last edited:

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been to many yards, and never, NEVER, have I seen a Commifornia emissions truck. I had an 08 Tundra that had that BS, one of the vacuum pumps went bad and set the check engine light. I bypassed it post haste. IMO, NY isn't as strict as Cali is, least where I am. As long as the check engine light ain't on, and everything works, no questions....

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@b454rat , you aren't going to believe this, but there seems to be some shenanigans when it
comes to the whole YF5 Cali emissions code. For example, my truck has the 'NG1'
(NY/MA/CT emissions requirements) but not also the 'same-spec' YF5?

If the law states that they all had to meet the same emissions, then what does this mean?
I found the following in a different forum, and this seems to pass the common sense
test:

This also supports a couple of things I am aware of. First off, in the early days there used to be the Federal (49 state)
and the Cali emissions, and the physical configurations were different. (Maybe an added AIR pump, different flavor EGR valve,
MAF upgrade over MAP, tweaked ECU calibration, mo' better cats, etc.)

But as time went on, and more states adopted the Cali standard, it became more cost-effective to just produce a "50-state"
calibration driven by the tighter Cali limits. And if the stick version was too close for comfort, emissions-wise, then only offer
the automatic drivetrain everywhere. (!)

Given this, as we leave the GMT400 era & get closer to today, it looks like the YF5 RPO code is now used to make sure that GM
pays the CARB fee for that vehicle, even though they already had the '50-state emissions' calibration under the hood? Would
I be surprised if this were true? No. Follow the money, especially when it doesn't make any engineering sense.

And the other thing is that during a short stint of moonlighting at an unnamed parts store chain here in NY, I had to go through
some mandated training regarding the sale of catalytic converters. In essence now you couldn't legally sell a cat to a customer without first
verifying what the underhood sticker specified. NY car owner comes in, suffering from a P0420 code that's resisted all the magic 'new cat in a can'
concoctions, needs a NY inspection sticker...and now wants to buy the most affordable (Federal-spec) cat they looked up online at the store's website.
Can't blame 'em -- it's exactly where I would be.

You then tell them that per NY state law we have to first check the underhood sticker.

They aren't happy, but we do it. Instead of the 49-state Federal emissions sticker, it's the NY/MA me-too NG1 'Cali emissions' version.
We go back into the store, look the Cali cat version up, it's double or triple the price, and now the customer is smoking hot...at *me*?

Just trying to do my job per the training. (And if you sell the cheaper (wrong) Federal cat and it gets traced back to the store the fine is huge,
so I was told to make sure and do it every time.)

Meanwhile, the line of customers waiting to be helped just gets longer & unhappier.

That is firsthand experience. Happened more than once. Ultimately it was one of the several reasons why I came to the conclusion
that moonlighting is good, but not in that capacity. Don't miss it a bit. Sometimes life lessons come from unexpected vectors. :0)
Man, something about all this emissions stuff wears out my hobby head and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. :-/

Anyway, as forecast the rain is abating, it's going to be 62°, and I'm heading out with my camera to see I can find...

Last edited:

carguy502

Reaction score
@b454rat , you aren't going to believe this, but there seems to be some shenanigans when it
comes to the whole YF5 Cali emissions code. For example, my truck has the 'NG1'
(NY/MA/CT emissions requirements) but not also the 'same-spec' YF5?

If the law states that they all had to meet the same emissions, then what does this mean?
I found the following in a different forum, and this seems to pass the common sense
test:

This also supports a couple of things I am aware of. First off, in the early days there used to be the Federal (49 state)
and the Cali emissions, and the physical configurations were different. (Maybe an added AIR pump, different flavor EGR valve,
MAF upgrade over MAP, tweaked ECU calibration, mo' better cats, etc.)

But as time went on, and more states adopted the Cali standard, it became more cost-effective to just produce the 50-state
calibration, and if the stick version was too close for comfort, then only offer the automatic drivetrain in CA.
(Instead of the harder to pass manual trans combo.)

Given this, as we leave the GMT400 era & get closer to today, it looks like the YF5 RPO code is used to make sure that GM
pays the CARB fee for that vehicle, even though they all had the '50-state emissions' calibration under the hood? Would
I be surprised if this were true? No. Follow the money, especially when it doesn't make any engineering sense.
First of all, THANK YOU for taking at such a deep dive. I don't even know where you dug all this stuff up at, but it is the sort of data that I have been unable to find and it tells a hell of a story.

Second, I work in the Medium/Heavy/Severe Duty truck/tractor sector in CA and we are going through literally the same thing with diesel engines. We have a limited number of diesel engines we can put into California, but CARB gets between a 9k-15k fee on each engine. It is just a f****** money grab. Has nothing to do with actual emissions.