Destroyed, or beautified GMT400?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

www.curbsideclassic.com/curbside-classics-american/curbside-classic-1990-chevrolet-c-k-1500-a-little-sheetmetal-surgery/

NOT at all my idea of "improved". But certainly customized. Apparently started out as a 1990 1500.

Curbside Classic has a rich history of profiled vehicles, ideas, etc. Recommended.
Agreed, that’s my lunch-break website. Lots of neat articles in there. Paul Neidermeyer with his Ford is always interesting.

Chuck_13

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meh.I don't really care for the truck,but its obvious that someone spent quite a bit of time and money on it.Maybe in a different color like victory red or hugger orange?

Rico387

Reaction score

www.curbsideclassic.com/curbside-classics-american/curbside-classic-1990-chevrolet-c-k-1500-a-little-sheetmetal-surgery/

NOT at all my idea of "improved". But certainly customized. Apparently started out as a 1990 1500.

Curbside Classic has a rich history of profiled vehicles, ideas, etc. Recommended.

If that’s the kind of thing you go for, you might really go for that kind of thing.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As ugly as that is, it is still miles better than that ‘squatted’ SH*T!

My wife and I took a vacation to South Carolina last week, and leaving the airport we saw a "Carolina squat" pulling away from the intersection. I had to explain to my wife why I was snickering.
Not going to be a problem in N. Carolina soon. Recently made illegal; law takes effect Dec. 1.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not going to be a problem in N. Carolina soon. Recently made illegal; law takes effect Dec. 1.
I'm not a fan, but this is a bad 'solution'. I remember being a kid in South Carolina in the early '80s and they tried to ban lifted trucks for the same reasons. I'd like to see their empirical evidence.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. The angle of the truck is so severe that the headlights can't adjust down far enough.

2. Bumper height regulations

3. Driver's forward view obstructed by front of hood.

4. Stupidity should be punished.

In general, I don't approve of more governmental regulations. This one I agree with.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not a fan, but this is a bad 'solution'. I remember being a kid in South Carolina in the early '80s and they tried to ban lifted trucks for the same reasons. I'd like to see their empirical evidence.
I agree with the ban as well. Some of the trucks around here these guys drive around hanging out the window because they can't see out otherwise. 6 inch kit out front, lowered until the bedsides are rubbing on the tires in back.

I can't imagine they drive correctly with all the alignment angles tilted that far out of whack.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I agree with the ban as well. Some of the trucks around here these guys drive around hanging out the window because they can't see out otherwise. 6 inch kit out front, lowered until the bedsides are rubbing on the tires in back.

I can't imagine they drive correctly with all the alignment angles tilted that far out of whack.

I just looked at that article.... I had no idea they went to that extreme! I figured it was just another name for Cali-lean.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just looked at that article.... I had no idea they went to that extreme! I figured it was just another name for Cali-lean.
LOL, I didn't even look at the article until now, but yeah, I have seen worse. There's a kid that drives by my house in an Avalanche that's set up like the one in the article and last winter I used to pass a guy on the highway running 60+mph with his head hanging out the window in sub-freezing weather. Bet he was cool, eh? lol Fri night at wal-mart there's dozens of them hangin'.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There should already be laws concerning driving with obstructed view. If they're violating that, give them a ticket for that.

The headlights aiming wrong can be fixed by tilting the mount. If they fail to do that, then they're likely afoul of the state's vehicle safety regs on headlight aiming. Again, give them a ticket for that.

Also, what's the measure on this? If you do a 4/6 drop, your headlights are aimed higher. Did you correct that?. Is a police officer going to use this law as an excuse to pull you over your 4/6 dropped truck and "check" to see if your car meets the requirements, all the while he's peeking in your cab, trying to find something incriminating? I don't live my life in a way that I worry, but I also don't want law enforcement thinking that snooping on me without cause is okay.

Passing a law that targets people who modify, and not the ill result of that modification, can be used to persecute people. Look at lowrider culture. Back in the '60s you could get arrested and have your car seized for driving a lowrider. It was a way of harassing people of Hispanic origin.

It looks to me like someone thought this was goofy, didn't have an appreciation that somebody worked hard to mod their truck, and started a petition in bad faith. Now the governor sees the opportunity to win some cheap votes, so he's making it law. I'm no fan of the squat, but this is not a good solution.